Electrical repair

Old 09-03-14, 05:21 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Electrical repair

Hi folks,

We had some exterior carpentry work done to a 25 year-home prior to painting. Mostly clap boards and trim. By accident they cut a power line running to an upstairs bedroom (mistakes do happen). They fixed it by adding an outlet box outside and splicing the wire inside the box. We would like to know if this is usual and customary and above all safe. The box to the right was an existing exterior outlet box - on the left is the one they added and painted over. Thanks!

Name:  pic9.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  28.8 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-14, 05:27 AM
Splices must remain accessible in a junction box and it appears as if that is what they did. In most cases, it would not be practical to replace the entire circuit.

Your lucky, as most non-electrical contractors are not as conscientious and would have botched this up and buried the splice. You might want to open the box and assure they made their splice with appropriate wire connectors and that the box is appropriately secured.

Old 09-03-14, 05:31 AM
I did that and it looked really good inside. It also has a waterproof gasket.

We just wanted to make sure we were not violating any "codes" anywhere...

Thanks for the response.

Old 09-03-14, 05:36 AM
We would like to know if this is usual and customary and above all safe. The box to the right was an existing exterior outlet box - on the left is the one they added and painted over. Thanks!
looks like they did you a good job.
i would not mess up the paint .

Old 09-03-14, 08:25 AM
Group Moderator
Received 520 Votes on 490 Posts
So then they cut a cable that was inside the wall ?
It's hard to believe there was enough extra wiring in the wall to make a splice up.

Old 09-03-14, 09:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 40 Votes on 35 Posts
I would not be happy with that fix. While the junction box is accessible, like PJ says, there is almost zero chance there was enough slack cable to properly make the splice. The code requires 6" of free conductor form each cable. I doubt the cable got a foot longer after being cut.

Old 09-03-14, 09:45 AM
I would not be happy with that fix. While the junction box is accessible, like PJ says, there is almost zero chance there was enough slack cable to properly make the splice. The code requires 6" of free conductor form each cable. I doubt the cable got a foot longer after being cut.
More information or photos of the interior of the box and the interior of the house where there may be another box would be needed before poo-pooing this installation.