Solar powered fan project

Old 09-03-14, 01:25 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Solar powered fan project

Hi guys,

I'd like to build some solar powered fans for my garage air vents

I have a bunch of 140mm pc fans I'd like to use (they have red, black and yellow cables going into a 3 pin connector). here are my questions:

- Can anyone recommend a small solar panel that would be ideal?
- How do i connect the wires from the solar panel to the fan? (sorry, newbie here)
- Can a single solar panel power multiple fans? If so, how would i wire this together?
- Can excess energy not required by the fan be used to power a battery, and then the battery power the fan over night? If so how do I wire this together?

Appreciate any help

Cheers,

Steve

Old 09-03-14, 04:13 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Solar fan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I doubt that anyone here has done it but there is a site that might get you started.

Old 09-03-14, 04:39 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 750 Votes on 689 Posts
I've done it in a long about way. I had a panel charging a 12 volt deep cycle AGM battery then a transformer/power supply convert the 12 volts to 5 to supply the computer fans. Everything connected directly to the battery.

I did the project because I had all the parts lying around and I was bored one weekend. It worked and every time I checked the fans were running but compared to AC powered fans the computer fans were so wimpy to be almost useless. It was a fun little project but I would not spend money to buy the components to do it in my workshop.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: