Making a DIY wire finder

Old 09-03-14, 02:21 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Making a DIY wire finder

Wire finders are commonly used by electricians to find faults and repair wires without breaking our entire walls.

I am wondering if this can be a DIY project and if someone has worked on it. Specifically, the power injector component looks a bit tricky. Would anyone have played with it?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-14, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I have to ask...why? I'd think it would be impossible to build a quality useable item without costing more than a commercial unit either new or used.

As a design exercise, I'm sure it's possible, but why? Most electricians would just abandon a cable/wire and run new, since it's not cost effective for them. Tech contractors for businesses and the Gov would justify the cost.

Advanced studfinders have a similar function and for residential work are adequate to trace a wire...not necessarily to find a fault.

I have to let you know...this is not a hobbyist site, there are plenty of those for every field imaginable. It's a DIY site for people with problems they are wanting to solve. Let's restrict it to that, ok?

Old 09-03-14, 02:50 PM
A
>I have to let you know...this is not a hobbyist site, there are plenty of those for every field imaginable. It's a DIY site for people with problems they are wanting to solve. Let's restrict it to that, ok?

I get your point. This is however not a hobbyist project, more of an academic project in filter design and so forth.

Old 09-03-14, 02:54 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Dude - I've read both the questions you've asked and regardless of how you want to classify this site or your questions, Vic is right that the odds of you getting an answer here are not high.

I have to ask you - just what is it you're trying to accomplish?

Old 09-03-14, 03:03 PM
A
Apologies. I think I misunderstood the theme of the forum. Please feel free to delete both the questions .

In case you'd know of a forum where these kinds of questions would be more appopriate, please let me know.

Old 09-03-14, 03:08 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
Not going to delete anything, just don't want you having any false hopes.

I have no clue where the questions you've asked would be likely to be answered....

Old 09-03-14, 04:35 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Lets start over and just tell us the problem with your electric you are trying to fix.