dishwasher on 240v circuit

Old 09-04-14, 11:03 AM
dishwasher on 240v circuit

i have an electric stove i just removed and an older style fuse circuit. it was on a pull fuse with 1 fuse on each side for each hot wire. could i connect a dishwasher to just one of the fuses and the other to a gas stove plug in i want to install. wouldnt that technically make it a 120 on each appliance?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-14, 11:43 AM
Group Moderator
an older style fuse circuit
Which means probably a three wire supply so no. You would eliminate one fuse. The white would be moved to neutral and only the black would be used as the hot. The fuse would be changed to 20amp. However if this is SE cable you may have only red and black and if they are #6 or smaller neither can be remarked as a white wire. Assuming you instead have NM or old style BX you may not have a ground. Of course if you have conduit you may be okay.

Old 09-04-14, 11:57 AM
i already disconnected to wires to the fuse box i was going to run smaller wires. the wires i pulled out was a 2 hot and 1 ground i did not see a neutral there. there was 60 amp fuses on each side i would have to pull out and put in maybe 15 amp on each side with 12-2 wire for each the stove and the dishwasher. would that suffice?

Old 09-04-14, 07:48 PM
What you really should do is start by replacing that old obsolete fuse box with a modern circuit breaker panel.

Old 09-04-14, 10:18 PM
im working on replacing within a year but i dont have the 1400 it will cost to replace it.