Belkin Wemo going from a 3 way to a 2 way

Old 09-04-14, 10:14 AM
Belkin Wemo going from a 3 way to a 2 way

Hello,

I need some help. I've spent a lot of time trying to figure this out but I basically have a switch at the top of the steps and another at the bottom of the steps. They both control the overhead lights going down into the basement. Well, I want to eliminate one of the switches by putting a blank over it and just use a Belkin Wemo at the top of the steps(so I can enforce that my children stop wasting electricity..lol by scheduling it)

I have read another post on this forum where the group here was successful in helping someone with similar issue and they got it working. I'm still not sure on my setup so I figured I would ask for help before trying anything on my own.

Thanks in advance!

So here is what I haveName:  top of steps 2.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  36.3 KBName:  bottom of steps 1.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  30.2 KBName:  bottom of steps 2.jpg
Views: 241
Size:  38.0 KBName:  top of steps 1.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  27.0 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-14, 02:18 PM
Temporarily Suspended
I wouldn't expect a whole lot of savings dollar wise. Which switch receives the juice from the breaker?

Old 09-04-14, 02:51 PM
Group Moderator
I believe current code requires stairs to have a light with a switch at each end.

Old 09-04-14, 02:55 PM
Group Moderator
You will have to go to England to switch to 2-way. That is what they call a 3-way in England. We don't have 2-ways.

Many time building codes require three way switches on stairs so switching it to a "single location" switch maybe a building code violation though it is usually not an electrical code violation. Better way to save money might be to switch to CFL or LED bulbs though money saved whatever you do probably won't buy a Happy Meal.