Re Wire from Fan, confirmation needed

Old 09-04-14, 11:15 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Re Wire from Fan, confirmation needed

I just want to get another opinion on the wiring I did, I checked with a couple people before doing it, but I am super paranoid when it comes to electrical work.

Original Setup
Originally there was a ceiling fan in my room with two switches, one to the fan and one to the light on the fan. There is 2 lines of 14/3 coming into the switch area, one from the bottom then one going up to the attic. The switch on the right controlled the light on the fan and the receptacle below the light switch. The switch on the left controlled the fan. The hot came in from the bottom 14/3 and went to the bottom of both switches, the neutral and ground were wire nutted to the neutral and ground on the top 14/3 going to the attic. The hot coming off the right switch is nutted with the hot going to the attic and the hot going to the receptacle below. The hot coming off the left switch is nutted with the second hot going to the attic.

Changes
I did not change anything in the switch box in the theater room, I only changed how the wires were going in the attic. I no longer needed a fan , I needed one line to power the receptacle for the projector and one line to power a recessed light I put in the place of the fan. I took the original 14/3 that was in attic and ran it to a metal junction box. I then connected that to two separate lines of 14/2. One line going to the light , one going to the receptacle. I connected it by taking hot 1 to hot, ground to ground, neutral to neutral on the light. Then I connected hot 2 to hot, ground to ground, neutral to neutral on the receptacle. So I ended up with 2 wires nutted on hot1, 2 wires nutted on hot2, 3 wires nutted on neutral, and 3 wires nutted on ground. Added a pic below for clarity.

I just want to check that this appropriate and I am not overloading anything, the receptacle and light have worked fine, and my receptacle tester showed all good.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-14, 11:28 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Your diagram looks correct but you wrote:
The hot came in from the bottom 14/3 and went to the bottom of both switches,
Normally a power in would be 14-2, black and white. Are you sure it was 14-3. red, white black? Was that a typo?

Old 09-04-14, 11:35 AM
I believe its 14/3 on both, heres a pic of the switch area. I am assuming the red goes down to the socket below since it also turns on with the same switch.

Old 09-04-14, 11:51 AM
So is the power in cable at the receptacle and the 14-3 really a switch loop?
I am assuming the red goes down to the socket below since it also turns on with the same switch.
So both the red wire to the fan and red wire to the receptacle was connected to the same terminal of one of the switches?

Old 09-04-14, 12:08 PM
I am not sure on the first question If you can explain more maybe I can figure it out. For the second question, I pulled the receptacle out that was below:

EDIT: More info, there is a 14/2 coming into the bottom receptacle below the switch that is connecting black on one side and white on the other side on the receptacle. Then the 14/3 comes in and connect black, red on one side, white on the other.

In the switch area, the red wire going out the bottom is wire nutted with the red wire coming off the switch and the red wire going to the attic.

Last edited by grendelrt; 09-04-14 at 12:23 PM.
Old 09-04-14, 01:28 PM
So power comes in at the receptacle and the 14-3 is a switch loop. Good, your diagram should work. Just wanted to be sure. One question, do you really want the receptacle controlled by a switch that controls something else? We can separate it out and add a duplex switch or make the receptacle always hot?

Just for information here is a switch loop. This is a basic one and uses a light instead of a receptacle but it shows the basic principle.

Name:  Sw_Loopb-2_zps5e50e8da.jpg
Views: 815
Size:  21.7 KB

Old 09-04-14, 02:00 PM
I think the original intent was to have the receptacle be turned on and off on the switch so if a light was plugged in. Right now I don't even use that receptacle, its in between two glass cabinets, so I will probably just leave it be. I kinda understand the switch loop, so neither switch is using the neutral , only the 2 receptacles and the one light. Thanks for your help on this, I always worry about electrical stuff if it isn't immediately cut and dry.

Old 09-04-14, 02:20 PM
so neither switch is using the neutral
Switches without special functions never use a neutral.

Old 09-04-14, 02:24 PM
Yeah that would make sense :O Thanks again for the help.