Voltage drop/lost

Old 09-05-14, 03:08 AM
Voltage drop/lost

Probably a simple question, but it's driving me insane. I have a vehicle (a HMMWV) that does not flash the front right turn signal bulb. All bulbs are good. All other lights flash. The single wire that sends 24v to the bulb was located and had a break (rubbed raw and broke by the alternator resting on the harness). The wire inside the harness is roughly 12 gauge wire. In order to fix the break I had to use some wire I had laying around. It happened to be 20 gauge wire, about 2 inches worth. (don't scold me too much). Now I finally have continuity throughout the harness, instead of having 24v at the bulb, I have about 4v. My question is, by dropping the guage, would my voltage drop that much?

Lee

The harness is pretty hard to get access to, otherwise I'd just go buy some 12 guage and try it out.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-14, 06:14 AM
I don't think 2" of 20 gauge is the problem. If you were losing that much voltage across that small section it would melt like a fuse. If you can get to that repair and test the voltage coming into it you will know for sure.

Where the bad spot you located failed by rubbing through, it is likely it created some heat along the wire in the process. If the fuse is good, then you need to look for another bad spot.

Bud

Old 09-05-14, 06:41 AM
Bulb

Make sure that particular bulb is well grounded.