Replacing old Murray main breaker

Old 09-07-14, 04:18 PM
Replacing old Murray main breaker

I have a 35 year old, 100 amp 2 pole Murray CB, mounted in a Murray panel of the same age, that has failed. It has a small screw (it looks like a 6-40) that secured the CB within the panel. The screw hole is centered between the two wire mounting clamps and goes through the entire body of the CB. The new Murray CB I bought at Home Depot is working electrically but is not physically secure within the panel since it doesn't have the screw. There are no "tabs" on the back of the panel to grab the back of the new breaker. The old breaker is labeled as a Style MP, Issue LJ, 120/240 V. The breaker is 2.5 inches deep, 3 inches high and the part that fits thru the panel door opening is 1 3/4 by 2 1/8 inches. Can you offer any suggestions how to secure the breaker to the panel or where I could find a replacement with the screw hole?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-14, 06:34 PM
Look on eBay for a Crouse-Hinds breaker as that is what Murray was called in the 80's.

This one is a bit expensive but you can see the mounting hole.
Crouse Hinds MP2100 Circuit Breaker 100amp 2 Pole | eBay

Ideally - time to replace the panel.

Last edited by Astuff; 09-07-14 at 06:57 PM.
Old 09-07-14, 07:47 PM
Group Moderator
Cuttler Hammer (Eaton) BR breakers are many times approved for Murry panels. Here is a 100 amp which also has a hole for securing the breaker to the panel, although not sure if it is in the correct location for your Murry panel.

Old 09-07-14, 08:21 PM
Alas.....the old Arrow-Hart Murray versus the new Murray by Siemens. I'd replace the panel. Yours was a cheapy when it was new. The alternative is to pay the price for a used high priced replacement that will fit.

Old 09-08-14, 08:12 AM
Thanks for the good advice. It looks like time for a panel replacement. Considering the time/effort and parts cost would this be a good time to upgrade to a 150-200 amp service? Since apparently Murray breakers were already cheapos in 1980 what about replacing the other breakers? What is a good brand?

Old 09-08-14, 12:30 PM
Considering the time/effort and parts cost would this be a good time to upgrade to a 150-200 amp service?
It would be a good time for a service update, but I really see no benefit in going to 150 or 200 amps unless you are adding some significant loads. That being said, some individuals specifically want a 200 amp servide whether their load warrants it or not. It can be a "feel good" thing.

Since apparently Murray breakers were already cheapos in 1980 what about replacing the other breakers? What is a good brand?
Just about any brand today is alright in my opinion. I prefer a panel with copper bus bars for the breakers to connect to rather than aluminum bus bars, but either are acceptable. There aren't too many brands to choose from today. When you start looing you'll find Square D, GE, Cutler-Hammer, Siemens and Murray. Todays Murray is a Siemens clone. They are all good.