heated floor closed circuit

Old 09-08-14, 02:52 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Red face heated floor closed circuit

so i just laid down 2400' of heated floor cable. the instructions tell me to test out the resistance. there is a black, white, and insulation around the cable (ground). when i test the resistance of the black and white i get the 25 ohms i am supposed to have. but then it tells me to put the black and white together, and test the resistance between it and the insulation. it tells me it should read open infinity.

i have three runs of 240v 800' cable down. all three of them read .5xx ohms. it does not read infinity. never seen infinity on these things anyways. mwhen i switch to continnuity for the beep... i dont get anything.

are all three of these things defective? i left message with the company, but did not get a call. their customer service is not the greatest. we need to get the tile guy in to lay the tile.

thank you for your time. i am not at my mothers right now to do anything immediately, but i can call her and have her do it. anything else i might have left out... i will respond as fast as i can.

-patrick

Old 09-08-14, 03:05 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Using an analog or digital? Did you zero the ohm scale?

Old 09-08-14, 03:40 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
When you get a chance, test each black and each white (separately) on each loop. Also, what scale was the meter set to?

Bud

Old 09-08-14, 05:19 PM
N
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ray2047
Using an analog or digital? Did you zero the ohm scale?
It was digital. Never zeroed one out before. I have access to an analog.

I will test those wires tomorrow. Google zeroing it out. And take the analog tomorrow.

Thanks,
Patrick

Old 09-08-14, 05:28 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
On an analog multimeter zeroing means to touch the probes together and move the adjuster wheel till it reads 0. Digital are usually self adjusting but you should touch the probes together to verify 0.

Old 09-08-14, 05:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,052 Upvotes on 3,635 Posts
You don't need to zero out your meter. What the manufacturer is asking you to look for is continuity between the white and green or the black and green. There should be NO continuity.... no reading. If you see any meter reading when checking between either wire and ground it means there is a nail in the wire.

Name:  wire.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  3.2 KB

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: