Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Upgrading: Can I feed an existing 100amp service panel from a new Meter panel

Upgrading: Can I feed an existing 100amp service panel from a new Meter panel

Old 09-09-14, 10:05 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: usa
Posts: 1
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Upgrading: Can I feed an existing 100amp service panel from a new Meter panel

I had an electrician out today to look at upgrading my service panel from the existing 100 amp to a 200 amp . I live in Michigan. I loose power frequently. I have a 2000 + sqft home with a 2 car garage and a pole barn and we have a well.
I would like to put in AC, a sub panel to the pole barn and install an external connection for my 6500 w generator. Hence the electrician. The electrician told me because of where the current panel is in the inside of the house it would be very difficult , time consuming and the electricians words" out of his wheel house." He did recommend another electrician.
I asked him if he could put in a metered panel outside to give me the expansion I need and still feed the 100 amp service panel in the house. He told me he had never heard of that. I may not have explained my self clearly to him he seemed very knowledgeable about his craft. However, maybe someone here can help me and I will better explain myself to the next electrician.

If it is too difficult or time consuming to replace my service panel inside my home to a 200 amp service panel could someone install a metered panel outside my home, feed the existing panel then run new lines for the AC and pole barn and install an interlock kit for my portable generator?? any help would be appreciated

Name:  panel.jpg
Views: 4027
Size:  22.9 KB

Last edited by ray2047; 09-09-14 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Rotate, crop, and enlarge image.
Old 09-09-14, 10:22 AM
CasualJoe's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: United States
Posts: 9,874
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
You can replace the service with 200 amp placing the new main panel outside or in a basement and install a 100 amp breaker to feed the existing panel as a subpanel. Good decision to call a different electrician, this is a basic install.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: