Another GFCI Circuit Issue from a Newbie

I have the following circuit in my home :

5 outlets on the same 15 amp circuit :
Garage GFCI
Outside Front Yard GFCI
First floor bathroom non-GFCI
Second floor bathroom non-GFCI
Second floor bathroom #2 GFCI

The GFCI in the garage keeps tripping, and taking out service on the other outlets. The circuit breaker is not tripped. Sometimes I can reset the GFCI's and other times I cannot.

I initially replaced the GFCI in the garage thinking it went bad, but that didn't help. I also replaced the Outside front yard GFCI outlet - in that case the original was a 20A GFCI outlet that I replaced with a 15A GFCI outlet.

Based on advice I've read in other posts on this forum it sounds like this whole circuit is suspect. Is this something that can be dealt with by a relatively unexperienced DIYer like myself, or is it time to call in the pros?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-14, 10:55 AM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 55 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Am I reading correctly - you have 3 GFCI receptacles on the same circuit?

Old 09-11-14, 11:55 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
If they are all on the same breaker either change all but the first to non GFCI receptacles fed from the load side of the first or make all connections on each to line side unless it protects a down stream non GFCI receptacle.

Old 09-11-14, 01:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mitch17,

That's right. I assumed the previous owners knew what they were doing so I've just replaced GFCI with GFCI, except for that note I made about replacing a 20A GFCI with a 15A GFCI for the outdoor one.

Thanks for your time.

Old 09-15-14, 11:36 AM
mitch17,

Ok, I think I understand. Generally speaking - should each bathroom be on it's own circuit/breaker? Maybe the outside outlet as well that will be used for yard power tools.etc? Just wondering if I should suck it up and get the overall wiring corrected. Pretty sure I have capacity in the electrical box.

Thanks again for your advice,

-JV

Old 09-15-14, 11:47 AM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 55 Posts
I think Ray covered everything in post # 3 - let us know if any of that doesn't make sense to you.

Old 09-16-14, 08:57 AM
Received 39 Votes on 31 Posts
should each bathroom be on it's own circuit/breaker? Maybe the outside outlet as well that will be used for yard power tools.etc? Just wondering if I should suck it up and get the overall wiring corrected. Pretty sure I have capacity in the electrical box.
This all depends on when your house was built and the code it was built to. Todays code requires a 20 amp circuit that can serve the receptacles in both bathrooms....OR....one 20 amp circuit can serve one batheroom receptacle as well as the lights and bath fans in that single bathroom. I would suggest following Ray's advice in post #3 and would also suggest getting the garage and outside recptacles on separate circuits.

Old 09-16-14, 12:57 PM
Ok, thanks to all for the advice. For the record the house was built in 1978.

Old 09-16-14, 07:22 PM
Received 39 Votes on 31 Posts
FYI, in 1978 GFCI protection was only required for bathroom receptacles and for outside receptacles with direct grade access. Small appliance branch circuits, garages and unfinished basements were added to the list much later.