In-line surge protector?

Old 09-11-14, 02:26 PM
In-line surge protector?

I'd like to wire up outlets with some type of surge protector that I can hide in the wall/junction box. This way I could still be protected but with out an unsightly power strip. I've read about the "whole house" surge protectors that can be installed at the junction box, but also read they have their negatives as well (i.e. If a surge is generated from within the home by other appliances).

Is there anything/way to do something like that?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-14, 02:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I know of no "negatives" on whole house surge protectors. They take up space in your breaker panel, or stand alone beside the panel. If you need point of use surge protection, you can purchase multi plugs that plug into your receptacle. Is that an option? This is the first Google listing of many, for example only. https://www.lbclighting.com/91-223.h...od0BoC69vw_wcB

Old 09-11-14, 03:05 PM
I guess it wasn't so much negatives as much as a general recommendation that even with a whole house surge protector, point-of-use surge protectors were still recommended...

Yeah thanks for the suggestion, I did see those at Home Depot. I was hoping there was some device I could get that was smaller, hidden, that I could use in the junction box itself. Figured if I'm wiring all these new outlets, it would be nice to give them "native" surge protection.

Old 09-11-14, 08:02 PM
Surge protection at the receptacle provides protection supplemental to your whole house protector. If you don't like surge strips, check out the surge protector receptacles.

Leviton Decora 15 Amp Tamper-Resistant Duplex Surge Outlet with Indicator Light - White-R00-T5280-00W at The Home Depot

Old 09-11-14, 08:14 PM
Nice thanks that's more what I was looking for, now if only they weren't 100 times the cost of a normal outlet lol.

Old 09-12-14, 01:18 AM
You should avoid those 20 cent receptacles like the plague. Buy the $2.00 models then the surge suppressor receptacle is only ten time the cost.

Old 09-13-14, 10:57 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
> I guess it wasn't so much negatives as much as a general recommendation
> that even with a whole house surge protector, point-of-use surge
> protectors were still recommended...

Plug-in protector are supplemental (although some manufacturers promote then in advertising as 100% protection). Adjacent protectors only protect from a type of surge that is typically made irrelevant by protection inside appliances. 'Whole house' solution protects from that same surge and all others

An IEEE Standard puts numbers to it. A properly earthed 'whole house' protector does 99.5% to 99.9% of the protection.

Facilities that cannot have damage use a 'whole house' solution and do not use adjacent protectors. Since adjacent protectors can also create other problems - especally if a 'whole house' protector does not exist.

Let's discuss those interior generated surges. 1) If an appliance is creating a destructuve surge, then a first damaged appliance is the nearest one - itself. 2) If those appliances are creating a surge, then you are replacing dimmer switches, GFCIs, and clocks hourly or daily. 3) If a 'whole house' protector does not protect from that type of surge, then why does it protect from all types of surges?

An adjacent (point of use) protector is only recommended to supplement 'whole house' protection. Only subjective advertising promotes it as 100% protection. It adds maybe 0.2% additional protection. If a 'whole house' protector is not properly earthed, then an adjacent protector may even compromise protection inside the adjacent appliance. In rare cases, cause a house fire.

Protection is determined by what absorbs hundreds of thousands of joules. Not even a 'whole house' protector does that. A protector is only a connecting device to what absorbs energy. Therefore a properly earthed 'whole house' protector connects low impedance (ie less than 10 feet) to single point earth ground. Distance is critical. Plug-in protectors do not make and will not discuss a low impedance connection.

Protectors do not do protection. Protectors connect that energy (ie hundreds of thousands of joules) to what does protection. Should you want protection, most of your attention should focus on what defines any protection layer. An item that absorbs hundreds of thousands of joules. A protector is only as effective as its earth ground. A point of use protector does not have and will not discuss earthing.

Protecton means one can say where hundreds of thousands of joules harmlessly dissipate. And how it gets there.