Wiring Outbuilding

Old 09-11-14, 06:27 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 1
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wiring Outbuilding

Please help. I want to put a panel in my outbuilding. I need know what size wire to run and what size panel. Prefer to use direct burial wire. The building is 200 feet away from home. The panel needs to hold at least (2) 220 amp circuits for an air compressor and a welder and (3) 15-20 amp circuits.
Old 09-11-14, 07:00 PM
pcboss's Avatar
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Maryland
Posts: 13,970
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
It would help greatly to know the load for the compressor and welder as well as the duty cycle of the welder.
Old 09-11-14, 07:12 PM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Jersey
Posts: 64,636
Received 3,892 Upvotes on 3,489 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You'll probably need a 240v 20A breaker for an air compressor.
Another 240v 30A breaker for the welder.
Plus at least three single pole breakers for misc.

I would use a 100A 120/240v 16 circuit panel with 100A main breaker.
You'll also need a two pole 100A breaker in your house panel to feed the sub panel.

You would probably use 2/2/2/4 quadplex underground cable... like what is used for a motorhome.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: