Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Can I connect to a existing neutral wire for the dryer receptacle?

Old 09-12-14, 10:28 AM

Hi Guys,

My metal conduit from the dryer receptacle had sparkles, so I opened the metal conduit and the receptacle of the dryer (3 pongs) and I saw that there was no neutral wire (white) but just 2 hot wires and 1 foot of ground wire from the dryer receptacle connected to the metal conduit.

Conclusion: I need to add a neutral wire (white wire) from the dryer receptacle to the service panel.

Solution? : Next to the dryer receptacle, there is a standard receptacle connected with a red and a white wire. These 2 wires (white and red) go through the same metal conduit than the 2 hot wires from the dryer receptacle. The metal conduit ends to the service panel. Can I connect the dryer receptacle to this white wire with a wire connector and a pig tail? FYI the two hot wires donít come from the same breaker than the red wire from the standard receptacle (the dryer receptacle has its dedicated breaker).

Thank you for your help,

Max.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-14, 10:33 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The wiring to the standard receptacle is too small for the dryer circuit. Since you have conduit you could pull a #10 white back to the panel if there is still room in the conduit.

Old 09-12-14, 12:09 PM
Thumbs up

Thank you for your answer.

Max.