Electrical inspection requirements

Old 09-13-14, 02:51 PM
Electrical inspection requirements

Hi everyone. I have built me a 12 x 20 building for my music room to jam in with my band. I am almost done and have already run the Romax inside and attached all outlets and switches. Now for the electric I have a subpanel to install and was told I have to add a breaker to my main panel in my house to run to it. My jam room is a detached building about 85 feet behind my home. My question is...do I have to already have the electric cable laid and run from house to building to have it inspected? This is a do it yourself and have read books, visited online sites, talked with electricians and learned along the way. This is what is holding me off for now. Some say have it all hooked up and then get it inspected, some say not to. Please help me in this manner. This is Mesquite Texas.

Thank you,
mrcarl

Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-14, 03:02 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Welcome to the forums! Consulting your local inspector is always the best thing to do. Some will have you connect everything and let one inspection do it. Others want it done in increments. You will, however need to run your underground from point A to point B, and possibly leave the trench open so he can verify proper depth. Again ask him, since he will be the one to pass or fail.

Old 09-13-14, 08:05 PM
My best guess is the inspector will want to do a rough and separate final inspection in addition to seeing the feeder at the proper depth since this is a new building, but like Chandler says, ask him. Don't forget to add warning tape to the backfill of the trench.

Old 09-14-14, 01:40 AM
Thanks CasualJoe and Chandler that was very helpful. I will have to call my city inspector office and talk to them. One last question late night is do I also have to have all the light and fan fixtures install (wired up) as well? A friend asked if I had a permit, and I don't. Could that spell trouble for me?

Old 09-14-14, 04:53 AM
You MUST have a permit. Usually he won't need all the fixtures installed. Just wires stubbed out. Again, inspections are done in increments.

Old 09-14-14, 07:17 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
If you are not going to have an interior finish like drywall you may be able to install the devices and fixtures. Normally these are not installed so the inspector can see that all the grounds were made up and that the proper length of conductors were left in the box.

Old 09-14-14, 10:32 PM
Oh wow, I MUST have a permit? Can I get one myself even though I'm not an electrician? Or what shall I do at this point? Really don't need to get into any trouble, but I did follow all the rules that I was told I should. Worried now.

thanks

Old 09-15-14, 03:37 AM
Go to the permit department and apply for one as a homeowner. Some municipalities in larger cities like Chicago won't allow homeowners to do the work, but I have never heard of it in Texas. The less you say at application time the better. Just ask questions and don't volunteer that you have done the work already.

Old 09-17-14, 11:17 PM
Hi again Chandler. Ok, I will go on my vacation next week and apply for a permit. If he asks has it been done should I say yes? If I say yes will he fine me? Maybe I can find someone at the Lowes or Home Dept in the electric dept to come check it and maybe say that they performed the work. I will for sure need one when it's time to hook into my main breaker for power, that I am not comfy with wanting to do. Besides it is run underground to my garage.

Old 09-18-14, 12:58 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would not lie to the permit office. Most places want the permit in hand before any work is started. Ask.

Old 09-18-14, 05:25 AM
Group Moderator
If you are in a municipality you need to check with them. In the county check with the county.

Old 09-18-14, 07:07 AM
Maybe I can find someone at the Lowes or Home Dept in the electric dept to come check it and maybe say that they performed the work
I seriously doubt that is a service offered by the box stores. I don't think I would look there for a real electrician.

Old 09-19-14, 11:05 AM
I guess I will have to find and pay a real electrician to connect both ends for me. If I do all this without a permit at all what trouble would I be in? Too late to try to re-do all the wiring inside as I have it all in place. Sounds like I have a real issue on my hands, being as I am a poor DIY guy.

You all have been a great help and source of information. I try not to tax you too much with my situation.

thank you

Old 09-19-14, 12:17 PM
If I do all this without a permit at all what trouble would I be in?
Read Chandler's post #8 again.

Old 09-20-14, 02:12 PM
Oh, ok then. I will call them and ask then go to apply if they allow it. I do hope so and again thank you all for being so helpful. I'll let you know of the results when it's over. Have a great weekend