Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Add Receptacle Using Power Source from Doorbell Transformer?

Add Receptacle Using Power Source from Doorbell Transformer?

Old 09-15-14, 12:23 AM
Question Add Receptacle Using Power Source from Doorbell Transformer?

Hey Fellow DIY'ers,

I want to hide my subwoofer inside a closet in my media room. I can easily route the audio cable into there, however, I cannot do the same with the electrical power. But....in that same closet is the transformer for my doorbell (see attached picture). Would it really be an issue to pigtail the incoming power in that box and run romex down to a new electrical outlet about 3 feet below it?

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 6189
Size:  28.7 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-14, 01:34 AM
Group Moderator
That box is probably mounted to a stud. If you took the cover off you could determine which side it's on. You could cut in a new gem box below that in the wall, in the same stud bay, and easily fish the wire up into the box as long as there was an empty knock out in the bottom of the existing box.

You may find a plastic or metal box. Either type comes with two knockouts on the top and two on the bottom.

Old 09-15-14, 07:02 AM
As long as it is a standard box just remove the transformer and install a standard duplex receptacle. Then use a plug in transformer like Westek Address Light Transformer-TF003B at The Home Depot or http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-Adem...ef=pd_sxp_f_pt

Old 09-15-14, 07:03 AM
Group Moderator
I'd go with an old work box instead of a gem box.

Old 09-15-14, 07:16 AM
Cool, seems like an easy enough task. I mainly was worried about if doing an extension such as this in the presence of a transformer was to code.

The plug-in transformer is a great idea if I'm having trouble running the wire down the wall.

Old 09-15-14, 08:55 AM
Group Moderator
An old work box is another name for a cut-in gem box.

Handy box or utility box is different.