New Photo Voltaic System

Old 09-15-14, 08:32 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
New Photo Voltaic System

Next week will make two months we have had our 10 panel photo voltaic system. In that time - quite often I will look at the Bi-directional meter to get an idea of how we are doing. Today's readings are (to date) 250 kwh consumed and 332 kwh produced.

BUT - today (for the first time) I went to the inverter and it says that we have produced 546 kwh !!

We will get our first utility bill on the 25th or so at which time the guy who sold/setup the system will come out for a scheduled service call - but I thought perhaps one of you wise people here might have an idea why the numbers are so far off.

Thanks

Old 09-15-14, 03:53 PM
Group Moderator
Received 878 Upvotes on 741 Posts
Are you sure you are reading the meter correctly? My understanding is a Bi-directional meter will count up when you are using power, and count down when you are pushing it back to the grid.

Old 09-16-14, 09:46 AM
L
The meter cycles through 3 different screens. What's gone out, what's come in and another screen with gibberish (unintelligible symbols).

I called the manufacturer (Fronius) yesterday to get their feel on our numbers. The guy's response was something like - wow you are losing a lot. As for the inverter itself, it uses 8 watts when operational and <1 at night.

We had new wire run from the inverter to the meter at install time. I don't remember the gauge but if we had four different people come out and quote on the system perhaps two were concerned about losing power using the existing wire. The inverter is maybe 80-100 feet from the meter.

Old 09-16-14, 11:16 AM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
Next week will make two months we have had our 10 panel photo voltaic system. In that time - quite often I will look at the Bi-directional meter to get an idea of how we are doing. Today's readings are (to date) 250 kwh consumed and 332 kwh produced.
There is something wrong with your readings. Assuming 50 days of operation (you said 2 months next week), you woulod have used only on average 5 kwh per day for almost 2 months. That could easily be a refruigerator and a few lights, no more, definitely no air conditioning. I cannot imagine that in Florida your useage could be that low during summer months.

Old 09-16-14, 11:55 AM
L
I've updated my profile. We had lived in Florida for 30 years. Now home is Cuernavaca Mexico.

We have no A/C (nor heat - other than the fireplaces). By far our biggest electricity hog is the pool. It can run 1/2 of our usage. We live in an area where we are 'allowed' 250 kwh/month. If we go over it our utility bill will double because we will lose the (national) government subsidy. The 'freedom' we will realize from generating our own electricity is well worth the cost of the system - which will pay for itself possibly in 4 years.

Our kwh usage is so low at the moment because we only run the pool pump for perhaps 2 hours a week (for cleaning) - too cold here at the moment.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: