3 heaters, 3 thermostats?

Old 09-15-14, 09:41 AM
Q
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
3 heaters, 3 thermostats?

In the current setup, I have 3 baseboard heaters all on the same circuit (20A 2 pole).
Bedroom 1: 24vac low voltage, 750W, thermostat is connected directly to a transformer on the baseboard.
Bathroom: 240vac high, 500W, thermostat is connected directly to the radiator.
Bedroom 2: 24vac low, 1000W, has a thermostat but it doesn't seem to be connected to the heater...not sure where the connection is.
Junction point in a cupboard that I presume houses the parallel connections.

I want to do the following:
- change both low voltage thermostats to high voltage ones.
- move the heater in Bedroom 1 to the other side of the room.

How can I wire in 2 new thermostats and change this to 240 in a parallel system where each thermostats controls the heater independently.
How is the low voltage stat in bedroom 2 controlling the heater if it's not connected to the heater and on the same circuit as all the others?!

Old 09-15-14, 03:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
A thermostat is nothing more then a temperature activated switch. Therefore you need to intercept the each line going to the heater, and install the thermostat to open and close the circuit before it gets to the heater. You can do this anyplace you want (as long as you have enough wire/cable available) and can even run a switch loop from the heater to the stat location and interrupt one leg of the 240 volt, if allowed in Canada.

Old 09-15-14, 07:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Another thread on these electric heaters. What are you doing up there ?

Why would you want to change the low voltage ones out. That becomes a lot of un-needed wiring work.

Old 09-16-14, 10:16 AM
Q
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I know, sorry
The main reason is that the transformers hum when the radiator is off so if I kept the 24V, I'd have to replace the transformer.
Also, I want digital thermostats and the 240 t-stats are cheaper than the 24v ones.
So, I figure why go through a transformer and relay when you can just connect "direct" to the heater?

Thias is the plan I have. The bathroom in the picture is already wired that way by an electrician.

Attached Images  
Old 09-16-14, 05:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 877 Upvotes on 740 Posts
Replacing the transformers might not stop the hum. Most transformers will hum, just some more then others.

If you are looking at digital thermostats, you might need to run both legs to the thermostats to power them. So you would need to run 4 wires total to each stat. Other then that, your diagram is OK.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: