Help adding a receptacle to a closet

Old 09-16-14, 12:09 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help adding a receptacle to a closet

Hey guys. So I need to add a recepticle to a closet. There is an existing recepticle on the other side of the wall of the closet that I can "tap" into.

Can I just pig tail off of the hot, neural and ground and run that to the new recepticle. Or even just use the quick push connection on the existing out let and run that to the new one

Or do I need to keep the new on in the circuit (sorry if I'm not making sense) take the hot/neutral/gnd that was going into the existing outlet and run that to the outlet and from the new outlet run and line back to the old outlet.
I believe the second way is the proper way but a little more of a pain.
Thanks in advance

Old 09-16-14, 12:15 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Can I just pig tail off of the hot, neural and ground and run that to the new recepticle
You can if it is not a dedicated or restricted circuit. Restricted circuits include Kitchen, dining room, and bath.
Can I just pig tail off of the hot, neural and ground and run that to the new recepticle. Or even just use the quick push connection on the existing out let and run that to the new one
Pigtails to the screws are best practice. The back stabs tend to have a higher failure rate than screws.

Old 09-16-14, 04:58 PM
B
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Perfect thanks for the reply. I never personally use the back stab tabs until I recently changed 2 outlets and they were connected with the back stab tabs so I just connected the new ones the same way. Should I reconnect them with the screws instead? I'm not at a risk of fire with them connected to the back right? I triple checked that they weren't able to pull out of the tabs

Old 09-16-14, 05:08 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Should I reconnect them with the screws instead?
Yes, or even better if two cables pigtail them and the pigtails to the screws. Less likely to loose power down stream.
I'm not at a risk of fire with them connected to the back right?
No grater risk than any other connection method.
triple checked that they weren't able to pull out of the tabs
Since only a light weight spring holds them with heating and cooling over time they may loosen. If you check you will see that the back stabs are no longer rated for #12 (they use to be). Got to wonder why.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: