Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Digging a groove in plaster lath and burying wiremold in it

Old 09-17-14, 10:00 AM

I am trying to replace knob and tube wiring with romex. The plaster and lath walls are hollow but there are a few headers I cannot get through.

I would like to cut small holes above and below the header, dig a groove in the plaster to connect the holes, place metal wiremold over the exposed lath, and run the wire through metal wiremold conduit using right angle conduit to enter the holes. I will then put plaster over the wiremold and paint it to blend in with the rest of the wall.

The only other thought I had was notching the header and covering with a metal plate, but that seems like even more work.

Is this ok with the electrical code? Is it a bad idea? Is there a better way?

In some places I think past electricians (1940s) removed the door frame, I do not want to do that. I also tried using an extension drill bit, but could not get trough the wood header.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-14, 11:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
In any house construction, 1940 or today, you can run cable avoiding headers.
You may have to cut into ceiling to gain access to top plate.
Ideally, you want cable running up and down through stud cavities. Having an attic or basement makes this easier. Notching out plaster and adding a protective cover is unacceptable.
When running new cable, it helps to dedicate yourself to a certain route and expect plaster repair, it makes your job easier to not be concerned with wall repair. Just try to reduce it as much as possible.

Old 09-17-14, 11:30 AM
Is Romex allowed in your local jurisdiction?

Old 09-17-14, 11:39 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Good question. I was stuck on best way to run cable. I've noticed many New York posts relate to conduit. Here, it's used around beach cities. If conduit is required, this is a whole other story.

Old 09-17-14, 11:50 AM
Answer to questions:
The house was built in 1910 or earlier. Romex is allowed.

I am attempting to eliminate knob and tube wiring. Sometime mid 20th century 2 conductor (no ground) wiring was put in some places. I have a knob and tube ceiling light, but the light switch is 2 conductor. I believe they worked the wire from the light switch to the knob and tube around the door frame somehow. Maybe I should just pry the door mouldings off? I am not sure what will make more of a mess.

Oddly I fished wire across the ceiling just fine using wire lubricant to get around the headers, but now I am stuck. Cutting small holes here and there is not helping much.

"I've noticed many New York posts relate to conduit."

Metro NY has many old houses that are occupied by people wealthy enough to rehab, but not rebuild. My guess is the same houses in other parts of the US would be abandoned or demolished. and rebuilt.

Old 09-17-14, 02:51 PM
I found this, which seems to imply it would be OK as long as the wiremold is grounded.

Link talks about: " sheathed cables, armoured or unarmoured, clipped direct or embedded in plaster".

MyBuilder - rewire but no conduit

So now the question is how do I ground the wiremold? Could I run a separate green wire from the box in the basement along side the romex cable and then screw it into the wiremold?