Some outlets on a circuit aren't working

Old 09-17-14, 01:58 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Some outlets on a circuit aren't working

I have a circuit with a 20A breaker and 14 outlets that I can find (no light fixtures are on the breaker). There are 6 outlets in bathrooms and 8 outdoor outlets that I can find, one of which is a GFI outlet.

The other day, the entire circuit went out. I flipped the breaker a couple of times although it didn't look like it had been tripped. I checked the GFI outlet, and I couldn't reset it after pushing the test button. It was behind an appliance, so I couldn't tell when I pressed the test button whether I was pushing it or the reset button. Anyway, I replaced the outlet, and that didn't solve anything.

Then, I used a voltage meter to check the breaker, and it didn't register anything on my voltage meter, so I replaced the breaker. I checked a couple of outlets, and they were working, so I plugged in the garage door opener and checked it. I was able to close and re-open the garage door, but when I tried to re-close it, it didn't work because the outlet was dead again.

I re-checked the other outlets, and now the outlets in the front of the house work, but nothing else does. The new breaker appears to be fine, although I have flipped it a few times just to be sure it hadn't been tripped.

Nothing else has been plugged into any of the other outlets since I replaced the breaker except for the garage door opener and the lamp I was using on all the outlets to test.

One other note: the GFI outlet was not installed when I ran the test where the garage door worked. Since, I have re-installed it, but it is also dead. I even re-wired it to make sure I hadn't gotten the line and load confused.

Any ideas, guys?

Old 09-17-14, 03:26 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Are you sure there are no other GFCIs in the baths or outside or hidden behind something? Have you moved any back stabbed connections to the screws? Have you read http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...ther-info.html

Old 09-17-14, 03:35 PM
S
I'm not yet 100% sure yet on additional GFCI's, but I haven't found anything yet. I'll update as I finish searching behind appliances, furniture, etc.

I haven't messed with any receptacles except for the GFCI, and that one is backwired, not backstabbed. I don't want to have to start pulling all the outlets out of the wall to check connections unless there are no other options. If it gets to that point, I'll update my post.

I've read the trouble shooter, and nothing elses sticks out from that link.

One other thing I've found since posting is that a receptacle that I forgot about in a utility closet had an extension cord connected to it with nothing connected to the other end of the extension cord. The cord is a little frayed, but I highly doubt it was shorting out on something. I unplugged the extension cord and flipped the breaker a couple of time for good measure, but it didn't resolve anything.

Old 09-17-14, 03:44 PM
If nothing else you will need to open the last working receptacle before the first first non working receptacle and check the connections. Which is the last working one can be a bit of a guess but proximity is usually a good indicator.

Old 09-17-14, 05:13 PM
S
Thank you!! I checked both working receptacles, and one of them had some rust on the screws. I replaced that receptacle, and all of them are working now.

Old 09-17-14, 05:21 PM
Bingo! Thanks for letting us know the outcome.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: