perform house safety check? electrical

Old 09-18-14, 05:46 PM
perform house safety check? electrical

If you wanted to perform your own saftey check just like an electrician would do, what checklist should you go through?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-14, 06:29 PM
Group Moderator
I'm an electrician and have never been called before for a safety check.
I do get called if a customer has problems with a particular circuit.
I get many calls to check out services. I still give free estimates on all work.

As the homeowner you should know of any blatant problems and then would call in an electrician to remedy them.

Old 09-18-14, 09:01 PM
Hmm. I've heard of electricians doing regular inspections & checks...checking all sockets are grounded etc...

Old 09-19-14, 01:32 AM
I've seen advertising from local electrical contractors offering a "safety check" for around $100 to $150 dollars. In my opinion it is a scam and easy money for the contractor. All they do is use a simple tester in the receptacles and tighten the connections in the circuit breaker panel. If the panel was properly installed originally there is (in my opinion) no need for this procedure.

You can remove the cover on the panel and look to see if there are any obvious problems. A receptacle tester (for proper grounding) is about $10.

Old 09-19-14, 07:30 AM
I've seen advertising from local electrical contractors offering a "safety check" for around $100 to $150 dollars.
That sounds like it would be the most basic of safety checks not taking over 1 to 2 hours to complete. Judging from the cost, 1 to 2 hours labor is all that can possibly be included. They must be fishing for additional work where they can make a real profit.

My idea of a worthwhile safety check would include checking the resistance of the GEC to ground, testing each receptacle with a circuit analyzer and testing the trip level of all GFCI devices in addition to all the basics of inspecting and tightening connections and looking for obvious problems and code violations. Much of this requires expensive specialized equipment and could not be performed by just any electrician and especially not by a homeowner.