Replacing a 100a main breaker

Old 09-19-14, 08:48 AM
Replacing a 100a main breaker

IS there a trick to removing a main breaker from an Eaton panel? I am attemptin to replace a 100a main breeaker with a 50a doubel breaker to prepare my new panel for use as a sub panel in my garage. I can get the 100a off the stabs in the back but cant get it to come off the tabs in the front.

Any Help?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-14, 09:24 AM
Group Moderator
No reason to remove it. In a subpanel it only serves as a disconnect switch not a breaker. So as long as it is equal to or greater than the breaker supplying the power it does not need to be changed.

Old 09-19-14, 11:09 AM
If this is an Eaton/Cutler-Hammer BR series panel, I don't believe the 2 pole 50A breaker will accept a main breaker hold-down kit so you couldn't use it anyway.

Old 09-19-14, 02:54 PM
So Assuming the service to my garage is sufficient (and yes I still need to confirm this) I would have a 60a in my main panel in the house feeding the service. Then I would have the 100-a in the garage as a disconnect for the panel. In the sub panel I would have my other circuit breakers like the 40a for my kiln and the 20a breakers for all my outlets and lights. ALL the greens would be bussed together and the whites as well but the greens and whites are not connected (which means i need to disconnect my bus stap and conect the panel ground to the green bus). then teh Red and black feeds from my service attach to the two main breaker lugs.

Am I on the correct path?

Old 09-19-14, 03:04 PM
Group Moderator
I had trouble following your explanation.

You add a ground bar to the panel. The EGC from the house, GEC from the ground rod, and all the branch circuit grounds go there.

You un-bond the neutral bar if bonded and the neutral from the house and all the branch circuits neutrals go there.

The two hots to the main beaker. Hots can be two blacks, black and red or any color but white, gray, or green.