Generator cable

Old 09-20-14, 06:40 AM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Generator cable

Hi. I am going to install a Generlink on the meter on my house and will need to use a 90ft cable to connect to my generator.

Instead of me having to drag 90ft of cable arpund my garage to my generator in 4ft of snow, i want to permanently install a cable in my garage with 1 receptacle on each end of the garage. So when the power goes out i will plug a cable from my generlink to my garage, and on the other end of my garage i will plug a shorter cable from the other receptacle to my generator. So i guess i permanently want to install a generator quality extension cord in my garage..

Looking a. #6 or #8 wire to compensate for voltage drop. Generator and generlink would have L14-30 plugs.

Will this work? Or will too many cords plugging into each other affect the quality of power?
Any advice appreciated.

Old 09-20-14, 06:46 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You can purchase a Generlink without an inlet, and instead hard wire conduit, Romex, etc. right to the Generlink and have a remote-mounted inlet. The Reliance 30A inlets work with up to #6 wire.

Old 09-20-14, 07:26 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,952 Upvotes on 3,545 Posts
Normally you would use #10 wiring so go one size larger to #8 to compensate for any drop.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: