Changing a breaker with no main shut-off

Old 09-20-14, 11:47 AM
Changing a breaker with no main shut-off

I have a house with a circuit panel that has no main breaker.

https://c4.staticflickr.com/4/3866/1...d347c1e2_b.jpg

I want to change out an old dual-pole 60 amp breaker that is no longer in use (it ran 6-2 wire to an electric range that has been replaced, leaving nothing but the female plug coming up through the floor in the kitchen). I've built a shed for fine woodworking and want to run a couple 20 amp lines to the shed for the tools.

It would be easy, but with the house being built in the 60, some of the stuff is pretty dated. I've done a perimeter walk, and have found no main shut-off; not even near the meter.

Name:  SC83.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  51.1 KB

Any suggestions?

Attached Images  

Last edited by ray2047; 09-20-14 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Replace bad link with image.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-14, 12:24 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums!

First off, you may only have one feed to a building, so you can only have one feed to your shed. I would suggest running a larger feeder and installing a sub panel in your shed. Then, run your 20 amp circuits from that.

On to your current issue. Looking at your pictures it does appear that your panel is indeed the main service and should have a main breaker. It is allowed to have 6 breakers max in place of a main breaker, but as you can see, yours is over that. You also have a few issues with the current panel (Cables with no connector for example) so, I am leaning towards replacing that panel with another Square D QO panel. That will correct the code issues, and give you the extra capacity for later. Either way, you will likely need the power company to shut off your power.

If you do not want to do this, you could back feed a breaker and move the service wires to the new breaker and that would be your main. You could then install a sub panel next to this one for the space you will need as the new back fed breaker will take up two spaces. You can also move circuits to the sub panel to get the switch count in the main panel down to 6 or less.

Old 09-20-14, 12:40 PM
Thanks for the reply.
I think I'm just going to eat the cost and hire an electrician to change out the panel to one that has its own main. At this point, I'm getting quite tired of compensating for (and working with or working around) prior work that was done on the house with absolutely NO foresight whatsoever.

Thanks,
Seth

Old 09-20-14, 12:42 PM
Group Moderator
Sounds like a good plan!
Let us know how things turn out.