Losing voltage in kitchen- appliances not working.

Old 09-21-14, 05:05 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Losing voltage in kitchen- appliances not working.

I am having issues with voltage loss on a 20 amp breaker that appears to be sharing a neutral with something else(has one red and one black wire) Double pole breaker and all outlets on both poles have low voltage output. I can run a light but not toaster or fridge. I had problems with another breaker as well as this one on the same day, didn't have any power and I moved its loxation in the breaker box and it started working again. I am thinking my bus bar is going out or neutrals are loose. I can't get to neutral connections because they are behind the breakers and bus bar. rest of the house appears to be working great now accept kitchen 20amp breaker is not putting out 120v. when meter is on x100v I get about .5. I am obviously not an electrician! Also, Can some one tell me what voltage this meter reads? Needle is at .75 on bottom or 2.3 on top reading. Dial is at 100
Thank you,
justin

Attached Images  
Old 09-21-14, 05:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,749 Upvotes on 3,362 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You need to set the meter above what you are reading. You should be at the 300vac position and then use the 3 scale in red for AC volts.

Right now you are reading around 30 volts since you have the meter at the 100vac setting and the meter is reading about a third of the way up.

You don't have a neutral problem. If you have the panel open check from the breaker with the red wire to the panel/ground and from the black wire to panel ground.

Your meter needle should be roughly in the same position but on the 300vac setting.

Old 09-21-14, 07:23 PM
J
I don't see what I'm supposed to ground it out on when I tested at the breaker.

I was having the same problem with the 15 amp breaker at the bottom (was in the gap twords the middle) Name:  image.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  50.3 KBName:  image.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  50.3 KBuntil I moved it to the bottom and it started working now the 20 amp breaker is acting up. I currently have no power at all on the 20 amp. I have the breaker tripped right now just to be safe because I have no idea what's wrong with it.

Old 09-21-14, 08:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,749 Upvotes on 3,362 Posts
When I said check to ground..... just use any metal on the panel.

Your circuit breakers plug onto a buss bar. Either the buss bar is corroded or the breakers are corroded.

Old 09-21-14, 08:33 PM
With the bad breakers turned on, and anything on circuit in use, you may hear a buzzing or static sound near breaker. This is definitely a sign contacts need cleaned, as PJ said.
This is not your case, but out here, you will see condominium panels with buss bars painted (overspray).

Old 09-21-14, 09:02 PM
J
The breakers are brand new and the buss bar appears to be pretty clean. Maybe I will have to kill the power and sand or wire brush the buss bar until it appears smooth. Any suggestions on how else to clean bus bar?

Old 09-21-14, 11:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 181 Upvotes on 159 Posts
I would strongly advise against trying to sand the bus. If the bus is damaged either move to an unused position or replace the panel if the problem is not the breaker.

Old 09-22-14, 07:34 AM
J
It must be the whole breaker box / buss bar because now I'm noticing this morning that the electric stove doesn't work and the dryer doesn't work there's all kinds of problems that are just popping up like the mole trap game. I don't understand how all these things just popped up at once, and some of the outlets are working. I guess I should probably hire an electrician to change the breaker box out. it seems pretty simple but is probably complicated. Last Time lights were flickering I called Edison and they came out to look at the box. Maybe I should call them to get out again to test it and see what is wrong

Old 09-22-14, 07:54 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Yes, call them, use the emergency number not customer service. Tell them you think you have a dropped leg. Turn off all 240 volt breakers till it is fixed to avoid high voltage on the 120 circuits that might damage something.

Old 09-22-14, 04:23 PM
J
I think you're probably right about the dropped Leg. I test at the main where power comes off of the meter. On one phase I have 120 V and on the other phase I have only 98 V. Edison is on their way. I hope that they can fix it because I don't want to pay buchu bucks for an electrician to come out.

Old 09-22-14, 05:14 PM
J
here is a link for what I am seeing at the breaker box.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5t2bxws8uq...%20PM.mov?dl=0
Hope edison is responsible, should be here shortly will keep you all posted, really appreciate all the help.
Justin

Old 09-23-14, 12:37 AM
J
Edison was out and they have everything working except the stove and AC. A wire broke out side passed the meter box twords the street a few feet undergroud. Glad I didn't pay for an electrician to come out. Would have paid them $50 to tell me I need to call Edison.

Old 09-23-14, 05:34 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Would have paid them $50 to tell me I need to call Edison.
More like $125.
they have everything working except the stove and AC
Couldn't they do a temporary drop? Who is responsible for the underground cable in your area? Here it would be the home owner.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: