Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Need a little advice to wire up a small Halloween project.

Old 09-23-14, 10:13 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hey all.

Iím looking to do a small DYI Halloween project this year. I want to make fake fire. I want to use acomputer fan, some lights, battery to power it, and will have cloths for the flames. I am just looking for the best way to wire it all as itís been some time since Iíve had to do something like this.

I am planning on using a 9V battery to power it all. The fan is 12V, with a voltage range of 6V-13.8V. So the 9V battery should power it nicely, wont run at full speed but thatís ok. The fan is also 0.21 Amps. I also want to hook 4 small orange lights up to it for the effect. I bought a strand of orange ďChristmas tree lightsĒ that Iím going to cut and use the bulbs. Each lights is 3.5V(I think there really 3V). I am not use the Amps.

So my questions are. Do I wire up the 4 lights in series or parallel? Should I wire them before or after the fan, or does that make a difference? Should a 9V battery run this set-up for a 3-4 hour span? Should I put any resistors before each light bulb? Is it better to fun the whole set up in a single strand or have the fan and lights on its own loop?

Iím hoping this is just a small easy project, Thanks for any input.

Old 09-23-14, 11:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,990 Upvotes on 3,581 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Nice little project. Unfortunately, although the battery is 9v it doesn't have enough current to do very much. You could try running the fan on it but it may not last very long.

The lights you have will go in a series string. You might try them on a second 9v battery.

Old 09-23-14, 11:13 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I'd suggest a couple of 6 volt lantern batteries in series. That might have enough power for three or four hours.

Old 09-24-14, 03:29 PM
A
Received 279 Upvotes on 255 Posts
A small rectangular 9 volt battery is not suited for this application. The battery would last only a few minutes.

A six volt lantern battery will run the fan for a few hours. It would run the fan slower compared with the first minute of run by the 9 volt battery so you would need to try it to see if the fan runs fast enough. You could use two 6 volt lantern batteries in series for 12 volts.

Connect the 4 light bulbs in a single series string for 9 or 12 volts, or connect them in two series string of two bulbs each for 6 volts.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: