running circuit to detached garage

Old 09-24-14, 02:54 AM
running circuit to detached garage

I have a detached garage that I need to run a single circuit to. the purpose of this will be for garage door opener.
Also is a extension cord permissible for this?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-14, 07:37 AM
Group Moderator
is a extension cord permissible for this?
Never. Extension cords are ffor temporary use only. Do you have no power now at the garage not even lights? What is the distance from the house?

Old 09-24-14, 07:38 AM
I have a detached garage that I need to run a single circuit to. the purpose of this will be for garage door opener.
No lights or wall receptacles? The receptacle for the opener will need to be GFCI protected.

Also is a extension cord permissible for this?
No extension cords are for temporary use only, you should not run an extension cord to the garage for a permanent installation. You should have a receptacle either on the ceiling or mounted to the framing above the opener.

Old 09-24-14, 09:32 AM
The distance is approx. 40 feet. I will most likely install lights and a few wall receptacles as well.
I have a Square D service box that I can install as a sub if that is what is recommended.
Is there wire/cable rated for outdoors that can also be ran overhead or should I plan on burying with conduit?

Old 09-24-14, 09:56 AM
Group Moderator
Best practice is buried. UF-b can be used for buried or overhead. If buried must be buried 24" or 12" if protected by a GFCI breaker 20 amps or less. If run overhead must be rated sunlight resistant and supported bu a a messenger wire such as 1/8" vinyl coated steel cable. 12-2 UF-b on a 20 amp breaker would be good. No subpanel needed. UF-b would be protected by PVC conduit sleeves where it enters and leaves the ground or if overhead as needed.

Underground you could also use PVC conduit " or larger (" recommended) buried 18" or 12" if protected by a 20 amp or less GFCI breaker. You would use three #12 wires, black, white, green. Recommended breaker size 20 amp.

Old 09-24-14, 12:01 PM
Group Moderator