Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Installing a second electric meter. Wiring and grounding questions.

Old 09-25-14, 12:26 PM

I have a rental house in CA with a separate in-law house. I have a permit and I am going to install a separate meter/combo next to the existing house meter/panel (per the utility company's engineering department) to power the in-law house.

The in-law house currently has a subpanel on the outside which is fed with 220v from the main house meter/panel with two 20 amp breakers that power two 20 amp breakers in the subpanel for lights and outlets in the in-law house (It doesn't take much power for the in-law; it is only 400 sq ft, with about 6 outlets and 3 light fixtures and a refrigerator. Stove and water heater are gas). Two 20 amps, as it is, should be sufficient. Do I keep it wired the way it is with two 20s from the new meter panel feeding two 20s in the existing subpanel?

As far as grounding, can I use the same grounding rod for the new 100 amp panel that the existing house panel uses? The subpanel has it's own grounding rod located outside the in-law house that is currently connected. I thought a subpanel does not usually have it's own grounding rod if there is one at the main service panel. It it ok to ground the new meter/panel to the existing house ground rod and leave the ground rod for the subpanel connected? What is the correct way for grounding?

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-14, 08:21 PM
Group Moderator
Is the new meter/panel being fed off the main panel, or is this being fed off the power companies line?
Is the current set up fed with 2 - 20 amp breakers, or one 2 pole 20 amp breaker? Is this in-law house a separate building? You said it is but I want to make sure.

Old 09-25-14, 08:46 PM
The subpanel located on the in-law house is currently fed off the existing main panel on the front house. I am installing a second meter panel and, yes, the power company is dropping new service lines to it. So it will be two totally separate services.

I believe both sets of 20 amp breakers (in the main panel and the sub) are single pole, two of each in each box. Yes the in-law house is a separate building.