Grounding

Old 09-25-14, 06:18 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Grounding

Hello everyone
I want to start with saying it's a wonderfull forum, people are helping each other.

I've rented an apartment months ago. At first I didn't mind the occasional little electric shocks from my oven, but as day goes by I've realized that my pc has an increased amount of buzzing-humming sound from the speakers. And when I rub my hand on metalic parts of it, it feels like there is alot of static electric gathered there.

I've found out that buzzing-homming sound is because of I don't have grounding in my wall outlet.

I removed the plastic thing and there was only 2 cables in there. No grounding cable. I've called an electrician, he looked at electric system of the house including the electric meter.
He said that electric meter has grounding but there is no cable going into apartment.

Since I can't under go heavy alterations, burring a stick into the common yard or breaking all the walls to install a 3rd wire for grounding.
Will it be ok if I put a 3 way socket and connect grounding socket to neutral cable?

Thank you for reading.

Oh I forgot, I live in Turkey, I don't think we have some kind of regulations or anything like that :S

Last edited by Alican Avcar; 09-25-14 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Miss spelling, adding country
Old 09-25-14, 06:32 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I've found out that buzzing-homming sound is because of I don't have grounding in my wall outlet
That would not cause a buzzing noise. Yiour post is difficult to follow because you are misusing the term cable. A cable is 2 or more conductors in a metallic or non metalic sheath. In most cases you actually seem to be writing about a wire, a single conductor.
Will it be ok if I put a 3 way socket and connect grounding socket to neutral cable?
NO, unsafe and a code violation.

The buzzing is probably a loose connection. It is the owner's problem to fix this not yours.

Old 09-25-14, 08:05 PM
Group Moderator
Received 860 Upvotes on 723 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Note: This is mainly a US site and info here is mostly for US electrical systems. Always consult somebody who is familiar your the electrical system in your country.

First a little terminology: A single conductor is a wire. A group of wires with an overall jacket is a cable.

In the US, the only way to change a receptacle (outlet,socket) to a grounding device (3 hole) on an ungrounded system is with a GFCI. I believe in Europe they are called DDFT. However this does not give you a ground, it just allows you to use a grounded plug.

What is your wiring method? It is conduit? Is it a cable (see above) Is it just individual wires?

Old 09-26-14, 01:00 PM
A
Name:  unnamed.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  25.4 KB
Name:  IMG_02772.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  43.6 KB

Well here are the pictures, the one plastic thing doesn't have a wire in it. And There are currently 2 wires, there. One of them is Line and other should be neuter. 3 Wire should be for the Grounding as far as I know, but it's not there. And I can't alter the apartment I live in.

And We don't have those, ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) or Residual Current Device (RCD)(Copy pasted from Wiki, while I was looking at what it is.). They might be a requirement over in US or EU, but not in here. So no one is importing that stuff. Turkey is not in European Union.

So back to my point, I just wanted to learn from an trained or seasoned electricians point of view if it is OK to use Neuter wire for both Neuter and Grounding.
The Electrician I called to my house said he could do grounding by that way, it will grant a little bit protection. I want to know what can come out of it.
How is it unsafe?
Code Violation? What code? We don't have any. And I'm not going into politics to change them.

Old 09-26-14, 01:23 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Because in certain cases it can put dangerous voltage on the case of any metal cased item. Touch the bare metal handle of a refrigerator while in contact with something earthed like a metal sink faucet and you provide a new path to ground.

As stated buzzing is not caused by lack of ground.
The Electrician I called to my house said he could do grounding by that way,
Obviously not a real electrician even if he calls himself one. Is he the one that fed you the BS about the cause of the buzzing?

Old 09-26-14, 03:48 PM
A
How to fix the humming/buzzing noise with ANY headset/mic/EXTERNAL recording device - YouTube
This Video shows what my problem is. I think you are missing the part of Sound coming from my speakers and mic. And focusing only on wall outlet.

Old 09-26-14, 04:35 PM
It is not OK to use neutral as a ground (Jumper them together).
I've played guitar for many years and what you have is the dreaded "60 Hertz Hum".

I cannot explain it, but I did find YouTube Videos that explain it much better than the example you posted, that was simplistic. Look on YouTube for 60HZ Hum.

You can reduce the humming by getting high quality shielded cable, but still look at the videos and you will see how this may occur.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: