Glasslin timer mod FM/1

Old 09-26-14, 10:12 AM
Glasslin timer mod FM/1

[ATTACH]38899. I use this timer for an aerobic system motor/blower. My question is which of the five terminals on this timer do the neutral and hot wires from the source current connect to for a 120 volt connection? I believe it would be two of the three terminals to the far left (see attach. pic), only I don't know which one is for hot and which one for neutral. It may be that one is for neutral and two are for hot inlet (one that goes thru the switch and one that goes to the clock). I believe the two terminals to the far right are probably for hot wire "outlet" which goes to the appliance (s). Thanks, Robert

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-14, 11:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Terminals 1 and 2 are for the 120v control. When power is applied to 1 and 2, it closes the relay. When removed, the relay opens. It does not matter which is hot/neutral for 1 and 2.

The switched load connects to 3/4/5.
Connect your 'source' hot wire (from the power cord) to terminal 3.
If you want the load on when the relay is off, connect the motor hot to 5.
If you want the load off when the relay is off, connect the motor hot to 4.

Then connect the neutral from the power cord to the neutral on the motor.

Hope this makes sense!

-Mike

Old 09-26-14, 09:46 PM
Mike,

Let me tell you how I think it was connected before I messed it up and see if you think it was correct. From the source wires, neutral (white) went to terminal 5, Hot (black) was split to terminals 3 and 4. The hot wire from the motor was connected to terminal 1. Terminal 2 was left open.

The neutral wire from the motor was connected directly to the source neutral.

In your explanation, why wouldn't the source neutral connect to one of the timer terminals to run the clock?

Sorry I don't understand some of the terminology. I only understand if its a hot or neutral wire, source wire, terminal, and motor wire.

Thanks, Robert

Old 09-26-14, 10:45 PM
Group Moderator
Mike said.... 120v to terminals 1 and 2. One of those would be the neutral.

Rob..... you are a little confused on the wiring.
Terminal 1 and 2 are the timer motor.
Terminal 3 is the switch common.
Terminal 4 is the normally open switch contact.
Terminal 5 is the normally closed switch contact.

So...
The neutral/white goes to terminal 1 to supply the timer motor with neutral.
Hot from the power cord goes to terminal 2 to supply the timer with 120vac hot and it also goes to terminal 3 to supply hot to the common of the switch.
The motor black goes to terminal 4 or 5 depending on when you want the motor to come on.

Old 09-27-14, 03:57 PM
The way you describe it is the way I thought it had been connected once, only in reverse. I'll try it your way. Thanks a lot. Rob

Old 09-27-14, 04:17 PM
Group Moderator
Let us know how you make out.

I went to the manufacturers site to confirm the wiring diagram.
By the way.... that relay is the product of a GE company.

Old 09-28-14, 09:33 PM
I believe I need a new timer/relay. I hooked it up as you suggested, which also coincided with what I had been told by the supplier. The clock seems to work but the power does not shut off when it should. I've got it set for 15 mins on and 45 mins off. When I first noticed that I had a problem, the aerator motor/blower was cold and dusty and the air chamber was full of water. When I took it apart, I noticed the turbine wheel had corroded and was frozen in place. I believe at that point the timer was still working but the turbine was stuck. I believe I must have broken the timer trying to hook it back up. After cleaning out the corrosion on the turbine wheel, the motor/blower works fine.

Old 09-28-14, 09:58 PM
Group Moderator
Do you hear the timer click at the correct time and nothing happens ?

Old 09-29-14, 01:34 PM
I will try that. What I hear/see now, when I plug it into the power, is there's a noise inside the timer, the electricity comes on, but it doesn't go off when the clock hand passes over the right spot -- even when I close the little tabs ahead of the hand. Thanks. Rob