Ground bus

Old 09-29-14, 03:09 AM
E
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Ground bus

I have a 200 amp Square D main panel and recently I found that some water had been seeping into the panel through my main cable from the meter. That has been repaired. However, the ground bus (I guess that's what it's called)on the left side of the breakers has become corroded. Do I need to replace it and if so how do I do that? So far as far as I can tell everything in the house is working fine. Must I turn off the main breakers before I remove the old bus? I have done quite a bit of electrical work but have never done something like that. Thanks.

Rich

Old 09-29-14, 05:01 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Votes on 8 Posts
Rich, can you post a picture of what you have? Brass can be cleaned, and does not deteriorate like steel or other metals. We may see a solution.

Old 09-29-14, 06:17 AM
E
Here is a pic about the panel. As you may be able to see there are also two breakers that have corroded. Thank you for any suggestions.

Rich[ATTACH]39057

I hope the pic came through as IName:  rust 001.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  41.0 KB am not too good with that type of thing.

Old 09-29-14, 08:04 AM
Group Moderator
Received 2,969 Votes on 2,679 Posts
At least two breakers need to be replaced.

It would be a great idea to change the neutral/ground bar but that may require pulling the meter. Usually corrosion damage repair is done all at one time when the meter is out.

Old 09-30-14, 01:40 AM
E
ground bus

When replacing a ground bus in a main power panel why must the meter be pulled?
Also, can a corroded ground bus be cleaned up while still in the panel and if so how is it done? Thanks.

Old 09-30-14, 03:06 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Votes on 8 Posts
It may be best to continue with your original thread, rather than starting another one. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...ml#post2329499

Keep in mind both hot legs entering your panel will always be hot. One slip and lights out, literally. Always best to have the meter pulled or main disconnect turned off if separate from the panel so there is no energy at all in the panel when you work on it.

Old 09-30-14, 04:49 AM
E
Thank you, Chandler. I will pull the meter.

Rich

Old 09-30-14, 05:54 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you, Chandler. I will pull the meter.
Does the forum have liability insurance?

Surely you meant I will HAVE the meter pulled by a licensed electrician or the public utility company.

Old 09-30-14, 06:02 AM
Received 15 Votes on 13 Posts
Threads have been merged.

Old 09-30-14, 11:00 AM
E
Just because I stated that I will pull the meter does not necessarily mean the 'I' will do it, although I have done several in the past. Even though I am not a licensed electrician I am well capable of doing most electrical work and have done so for nearly 5 decades. I have a friend who is licensed and I might get him to do it, but I don't want to ask the PUC because then the codes inspectors might want to come and get their payola for something that is not any of their business. But I do appreciate your suggestions and concerns.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: