220 Outlet/breaker no power

Old 10-01-14, 08:03 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
220 Outlet/breaker no power

Hello. some info first. My wife was moving the dryer to get something that fell behind it and it sparked at the cord terminal. The breaker had tripped and would not go back on, so I assumed something inside the dryer had shorted out.

I disassembled and tested every component inside the dryer and everything tested good, except the control board I know of no way of testing it. So We went out and bought a new Dryer. get it home and get the cord on.. NO POWER.

So I turned the breaker back off and worked my way backwards. Took out the plug (4 wire) no obvious burns or hot spots. So my next thought was that the breaker was dead. I went and out and got the same model breaker (br230) replaced and again no power.

I removed the outlet and capped the wires. Turned the breaker on and no power. I checked the power at the output terminals of the new breaker. Nothing, no power to either line.

I removed the wires from the breaker and turned it back on, tested good at the the output terminals. So confused at this point.

We have (2) 220 Dryer connections in the house. I hooked up the wires going to the other outlet, same thing. Power out at breaker terminal until the wires are hooked up, then nothing.

Any ideas what would cause this because it makes no since to me at all. I have confirmed that there are no junction boxes between the breaker box and the outlet.

Thanks,

Dan

Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-14, 08:10 AM
Group Moderator
Received 506 Votes on 476 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You measure no voltage on the dryer breaker when the wires are connected. That tells me you are losing it before the breaker.

Are these dryer breakers in a sub panel ?
Keep working your way backwards until you find 240vac.
You may have lost one of your 240v legs.

Old 10-01-14, 08:34 AM
Received 43 Votes on 35 Posts
If you are checking across the terminals and get no voltage reading you may have lost one leg, as PJ already mentioned. What do you get from each terminal to ground and each terminal to neutral?

Old 10-01-14, 08:41 AM
Group Moderator
In order to check from each side of the breaker to ground or neutral..... you will need to remove the dryer wiring.

Old 10-01-14, 09:16 AM
Hello,

The dryer outlet is unhooked, wires are capped.

Ok I just tested with a volt meter. I was using a line tester earlier (which shows hot with no wires attached) I am getting no voltage from terminal to ground on either pole of the breaker. Is it possible that I bought a bad breaker?

Our stove is 220 and it is still functional. All other items in the house are still functional as well.

Old 10-01-14, 09:54 AM
Group Moderator
With some breakers you need to forcefully move the handle to "off" to reset mechanism and then turn back on.

Old 10-01-14, 10:43 AM
If I check the voltage at the breaker for the range I get 120 at each pole, 220 across.

I get nothing on the old breaker or the replacement.

Old 10-01-14, 11:29 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Put the replacement breaker in a different spot on the bus and check again.

Old 10-01-14, 11:30 AM
Did that as well.

Still shows no voltage on either pole.

Old 10-01-14, 12:17 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Sure sounds like a bad breaker. If you got it from BigBox how new did it look? One scam some customers run is to buy a new item and return the old all boxed up as new saying they decided they didn't want it.

Old 10-01-14, 01:27 PM
It was in fact a bad breaker...

What a pain..

Thanks for the help guys!!