Electrical outlet suddenly stopped working

Old 10-01-14, 02:06 PM
Electrical outlet suddenly stopped working

I shut the power off to my living room/kitchen in order to change out an electrical outlet. I completed the job, and restored the power via my breaker box. Once power was restored, an outlet (which I had not touched) in my kitchen was no longer working. I inserted a two-prong voltage meter, nothing lit up. So I took the cover off and tested the wires themselves with the meter, again nothing lit up. What do I do now? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-14, 02:46 PM
Group Moderator
Living room and kitchen should not be on the same breaker. Tell us all the wiring at the receptacle you changed out. If you used the back stabs move the wires to the screws.

Old 10-01-14, 04:40 PM
They were not on the same breaker, however I turned all the breakers off to find the living room one (we just bought the house and the breakers aren't labeled). When I was changing out receptacles I simply switched out the outlets for tamper proof ones, reattaching the positive, negative, and ground. Those all work great. However, when I restored power to all areas, an outlet in the kitchen never came back on. I never even touched the outlet that is not working. Everything else in the kitchen works fine.

Old 10-01-14, 05:13 PM
Group Moderator
That would be hot, neutral and ground. No positive or negative with AC.

Were there more than one set of wires on a receptacle.... two whites and two blacks ?

Perhaps there is a GFI receptacle in the house or kitchen that has tripped and is affecting the kitchen receptacle.

Old 10-01-14, 06:25 PM
Group Moderator
Make sure to turn off the breakers all the way off, then all the way on. Sometimes they do not catch.

Old 10-01-14, 09:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
While turning off the breaker, you may have inadvertently turned off an adjacent one. It's not hard to do with some breakers.
It's also hard to tell with some breakers if they are off. They won't go to a positive off position, just kind of float in the middle.
Turn adjacent breakers Off and then On completely.
If this doesn't work, post back, you may have overlooked something in your wiring.

Old 10-02-14, 08:59 AM
There is only one white wire, one black wire, and one ground wire. Is that a problem? It seems like all the other ones I've seen have 2 white, 2 black.

Also, I checked the breaker again. Turned them all the way off and all the way on.

Any other ideas? I need to get this working again. I only have 2 outlets in my entire kitchen.

Old 10-02-14, 09:03 AM
Also, what does a GFI receptacle look like? Where do I look for it? How will I know if I tripped it? I could check that.

Old 10-02-14, 09:48 AM
Group Moderator
This is a GFCI receptacle: Name:  GFCI.gif
Views: 1072
Size:  18.6 KB
Where do I look for it?
Check for a tripped GFCI. The GFCI could be anywhere. A bathroom, kitchen, basement, garage, attic, outside. I have seen back yard receptacles on a upstairs bathroom circuit at the front of the house. It doesn't matter if it is a room that shouldn't be on a GFCI. The receptacle may be an add-on that someone just ran from an accessible cable. Sometimes the GFCI's are forgotten or never noticed behind furniture. We had one poster find the culprit hidden behind the water heater. Once you're sure there is no GFCI move on to the next step.

Read more: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...#ixzz3F0D1nFso

Old 10-02-14, 05:00 PM
Group Moderator
The GFCI will be tripped if the reset button is sticking out. Most cases it is best to hit the test button to make it trip and then hit the reset button to reset it. The GFCI could be some other place other the receptacle you looked at.

Old 10-05-14, 09:05 PM
I cannot find a GCFI anywhere on the property, not a single one. Now the entire room is without power. We were trying to put wire nuts on a lighting fixture box that isn't in use right now. When were turned the power back on we heard a small pop, and nothing came back on. We used the voltage meter to test all of the outlets, nothing is getting power. We turned on and off all of the breakers, that didn't work. Everything connected to that breaker switch (which includes the outside shed) is without power. What do I do now?

Old 10-06-14, 07:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
We were trying to put wire nuts on a lighting fixture box that isn't in use right now
A Pop indicates a short in the wiring. Check ceiling box. Ensure black and white wires are capped off separately. Ensure there are no cuts, nicks or slices in the wire insulation.
The outlet you changed. Post a picture with wires attached and outlet pulled out of wall. Try to take picture with outlet facing down a little so we can see how the back/sides were wired.

A properly installed outlet should look like this (example = 2 whites and two blacks in box)

2 whites tied together with pigtail, with wire nut.
Same for blacks.
Black and White pigtails will go to receptacle side screws. White to silver colored screw, Black to brass colored screw.