Code Requirement for Over the Range Microwave

Old 10-01-14, 09:08 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Code Requirement for Over the Range Microwave

I live in scottsdale, Arizona and I am trying to find out the code requirement for over the range microwaves. I recently installed a 120V 1800W microwave that is plugged into a non dedicated 15Amp breaker. The circuit started tripping which is when I noticed an issue. I have a solution to get it onto a 20A breaker, but it will be shared with the dishwasher and disposal.

My question is, is it code that I HAVE to have the microwave on a dedicated 20amp line that shares with nothing else? Or will it pass an inspection/code if my microwave shares a 20 amp breaker with my disposal and dishwasher. Obviously running all three at the same time would be problematic, but it would be way too costly to run an entirely new line due to the location of my kitchen. This would be the most cost effective and quickest solution, which is to tap into the disposal/dishwasher line.

Thank you for the help! I am a newbie and am stressing over this!!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-14, 09:32 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Welcome.
No. Unfortunately the Disposer, Dishwasher and Microwave all need dedicated circuits.

I've installed many, very many, microwave/hood combos. It's rare you see one 1800W. But regardless, it still needs it's own circuit. In your case, 20 amps.

The only way you could get "lucky" and avoid running a new cable from the main panel is if you have a 240V circuit nearby that you're not using, such as an Electric Range or Cooktop. This 240V circuit could be reconfigured for 20 amps (by qualified personnel or by you getting help here).

Old 10-02-14, 05:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 30 Posts
The instructions that came with the MW call for a dedicated circuit. The electrical code calls for any instructions to be followed in order to be code compliant. Like Brian already said, you need a new circuit run to the panel.