4 gang outlet proper connectin

Old 03-18-01, 05:32 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I need wiring instructions for an existing 4 outlet box (I think this is called a 4 gang outlet)? I am replacing because the old one was painted and ugly.

The problem is that after connecting the 2 outlets, my tester shows that I have an "open ground" on which ever outlet that I don't have the ground wire connected directly to. I only have one green/ground wire from that back of the box. Do I need to splice the wire to connect to each outlet individually?

My incoming wires:
I have 3 sets of black/white combinations coming into the box. The first set is connected to the first outlet, the other 2 sets are connected to the other outlet (black to brass, white to silver). I have "piggytails"(?) connecting the first outlet to the second, with one white going from silver to silver and one black going from brass to brass.

Thank you for your help!

Old 03-18-01, 05:50 PM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just to clarify you have a 4 gang box packaged together as a one large electrical box. All 4 positions in the box have regular general purpose 110v plugs in there.

You said "I have 3 sets of black/white combinations coming into the box. The first set is connected to the first outlet, the other 2 sets are connected to the other outlet (black to brass, white to silver)"

I am not sure how what that means, you have 3 sets of wire cables entering this box ? Or do you mean there is 1 wire cable entering the box supplying circuit power, and the other wires are being used inside the box.

If one cable entering the box, which I will refer to as the circuit wire,

Circuit black connected to 4 short black wires which each 1 of those blacks connect to the brass color screw of each plug. Same with the circuit white , connect together and each short white goes 1 to each of the silver color screws of plugs. The bare ground wires are grounded to the electrical box and Must be connected to 4 bare or green wires , that each bare or green goes to the ground connector of plug , each plug must have its ground connector have a connection with the ground entering the box. Considering the size of the box, I would susgest using a green wire should the ground wires be a bit longer in nature that way that can never brush again another wire or wrong conenction on plug.

Another thought I had, where would you need so many plugs in the same location.

Old 03-18-01, 05:50 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Yes. Just wirenut all of the bare ground wires together, and pigtail to attach to the green screws of both outlets and the metal box.
Good Luck!
Edit: Oops. Got interrupted, and dkerr posted before I could. Listen to him (he's a pro, and I'm not.)

[Edited by OldGuy on 03-18-01 at 07:55]

Old 03-19-01, 07:50 PM
Visiting Guest
I must not know what 4 gang is?

Thank you for your help.

I probably didn't explain very well.
My outlet box has 2 dual outlets, (room for 4 plugs).

The wires coming into the box are from seperate directions (sides of the box). Each set has one white and one black. So I have 6 wires (3 white, 3 black) and one green ground wire.

Does this change anything?

Old 03-20-01, 07:44 AM
D
Then you have a 2 gang box, housing 2 dual outlet plugs. I suspect we are dealing with one circuit and the box is being used as a junction box to continue the circuit on, I also assume that neither the 2 dual plugs were switched before and was always in an always on state.

Even though I do suspect it is as mentioned a single circuit being present here, to error in the side of caution, I would like you to disconnect all the wires from the plugs , stick them out of the box, not touching each other , separate the cables and wires, (verify that indeed nothing is touching each other not even wires from the same cable) now with the power on , check for voltage between the black and the white wire of each cable (you are checking black and white of the same cable, then check the next cable), only one of the cables should be hot, if you can verify that to be the case, then we know we are dealing with a single circuit here,(if any other results , please repost) then ...

switch off breaker...

All black together and connected to the brass color screw of both plugs. All whites together and connected to the silver color screw of both plugs. Are bare and green wire together and grounded to grounding screws of box and to the grounding screws of both plugs (possibly green).

Green wires are ground wires.

Any cheap voltage/power tester with probes will do, some people even have used a cheap light socket with a known good bulb with short wires on to you as a power tester. I've seen these even in some stores that a light socket, and 10 inches of wire on it, and the only exposed area is the tips of the wires are are used for probiing for power.

Old 03-20-01, 08:00 PM
Visiting Guest
I will do your recommended test tomorrow and repost

Thank you!

By the way, when you say when I test that only one should be "hot", you mean only one wire within each set (probably black), right? or do you mean one wire within all three sets?

I will test tomorrow with my probe type tester and repost if anything is different. Thank you so much!

Old 03-20-01, 08:07 PM
D
Of all the the cables entering that box, with nothing touching each other or the box, only one cable should be live. This would be the circuit supply wire cable, the other cables should be dead if we are only dealing with one circuit , the other wires will get there power only after connecting all the wires up.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: