Removing a Hard Wired Doorbell

Old 10-03-14, 10:28 AM
Removing a Hard Wired Doorbell

Noticed that my doorbell stopped working almost a month ago (light went out and no sound). Finally got around to checking out what was wrong. I first took the bell switch off and removed the two connecting low voltage wires. Not sure if the problem was the switch itself, I then installed a brand new switch from Lowes. Did not work. Again, no sound nor light. Anyway, have decided to just go with a wireless doorbell unit instead.

My question is, can I just tape off the ends of the two wires and push them into the door frame and be done? We have a townhouse with a finished basement and an almost impossible to access attic (lots of insulation), so finding the transformer itself will be darn difficult. Is there any risks of an electrical fire if all I do is to tape off the wires and nothing else?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-14, 11:06 AM
Yes that's fine. It's only 12V and a switch leg besides.

But first open up your existing chime unit, you will probably find your wiring right there depending on how old it is.

Old 10-03-14, 11:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I would try harder to find transformer first. Electric is much louder than a wireless.

Look in furnace closet, either on wall or ceiling. Check in garage also. The transformer should not be hidden. Look at location of bell switch and see if you can determine where the wires would most likely be ran to. Transformer would need both switch wires and 120VAC ran to it.

Old 10-03-14, 11:59 AM
Group Moderator
Occasionally the transformer is in a box behind the chime. The junction box for attic lights and on the side of the breaker box are two other places to look. Check the wiring at the chime. This could just be a loose connection there if the switch wires come from the chime.