Fixtures popping issues Low Voltage?

Old 10-07-14, 06:48 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Fixtures popping issues Low Voltage?

I have existing wiring to my garage and hottub operating thru a 50 amp breaker in my house, then a disconnect outside that splits the 2 feeds.

The hot tub hasn't been "hooked up" for years, and recently we upgrade it an put back in service.

I had (2) 40 amp buss type fuses in the disconnect box for the tub and garage. One blew, I guess, i didn't check it, just went and purchased 2 new 50 amp buss.

When I put it in the box, several things connected to outlets started popping and quit working. I pulled the disconnect.

I do have a wiring issue in the disconnect box, both the hot tub and garage wires go into this disconnect and may not be seating correct. I did notice when I pulled the wires from the garage out, some were broken.

Also, in the garage, I have another breaker box that no breakers were thrown. This box is close to 75 years old, not the garage (11 yrs), but the box.

I purchased a new breaker type box 125 amp, with 2 circuits I haven't installed.

Hesitant to do anything more until a little more confident.

Thanks for any help someone might offer.

Old 10-07-14, 07:24 AM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
The hot tub hasn't been "hooked up" for years, and recently we upgrade it an put back in service.
Nowhere do you mention having a proper GFCI protected disconnect for the hot tub. I think I'd begin by installing a new hot tub circuit from the main panel with a proper GFCI protected disconnect and getting the hot tub wiring off the garage circuit. Then you may go about troubleshooting the garage circuit.

Old 10-07-14, 07:31 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You have a sub panel fed from the main panel on a 50A breaker. You had a 40A fuse blow in your sub panel so you just went and put in 50A fuses. The 40/50's should be protecting the spa and a second breaker should be protecting the garage but technically the garage should not be connected to that disconnect and that disconnect should have a GFI in it for the tub.

A new panel is a good idea. Isolated grounds from the neutral is also a good idea as well as a GFI breaker for the tub.

As far as things popping and sparking.... you're going to have to disconnect that circuit and check it for shorts.

Old 10-07-14, 12:01 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your reply, Adding the new panel, with 2 circuits, and a GFI on the hot tub.

Whats puzzling to me is the garage which basically I unhooked and hooked back why it was acting up.
Any thoughts on the low voltage as a possibility? Can't see where I picked up a short when there wasn't an issue prior to unhooking.

I appreciate your response and help on this.

Old 10-07-14, 06:48 PM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
Whats puzzling to me is the garage which basically I unhooked and hooked back why it was acting up.
Any thoughts on the low voltage as a possibility? Can't see where I picked up a short when there wasn't an issue prior to unhooking.
Yes, it is puzzling, but wouldn't be if we were there and could see it (like you are). You will have to do the troubleshooting and tell us what you find.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: