Service drop and cable size questions

Old 10-06-14, 08:57 AM
Service drop and cable size questions

I want to run the cable from the meter to my small house (1600 square feet electric lights, fridge, AC, and septic pump and an outbuilding (lights, fridge, power tools, occasional arc welding). I am not going to hook anything up I just want to save money on the labor of running the underground cable
Both structures will have 200amp panels.

The meter is about 150 feet from the outbuilding and about 330 feet from the house and the three of them are more or less in a straight line.
I have a couple of questions.
1st can I run it this far or do I need to cut down some trees and move the meter closer
2nd do I have top run 2 separate lines or can I run 1 to the first building and a second from there to the house.
3rd what size and type direct burial cable do I need.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-14, 11:52 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It would benefit you to do a demand load calculation before you invest time and money unnecessarily so the runs can be the correct size. I doubt you even need 100 amps to the outbuilding.

Old 10-06-14, 12:21 PM
I plan on enlarging the buildings in the future so I wanted to err on the side of being high. I did a dl calculation and came up with 150 amps for each building, that is why I decided to go with 200 in case I enlarge them

Old 10-06-14, 12:32 PM
I plan on enlarging the buildings in the future so I wanted to err on the side of being high
You still need a load calculation as a baseline to know where to start.

In addition, how many amps is the service rated for? Is there either a fusible or circuit breaker disconnect at the meter location? If so, how many amps is the disconnect?