wiring diagram - junction box near panel

Old 09-23-14, 10:57 AM
Q
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
wiring diagram - junction box near panel

I'm going to put in a junction box next to the panel to replace an existing relay.
Does the diagram look ok for a parallel connection to the heaters?
The reason I cannot connect the 3rd heater to the others is that there is a doorway in between and there is already existing wire that I can use.

Old 09-23-14, 04:56 PM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
What is that connection with the triangles?all you really need is to feed the 2 pole thermostat (line voltage) and parallel the heaters to the load side of the stat.
Geo

Old 09-23-14, 05:52 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
The triangles are splices.

Yes.... your diagram will work. I think in one of your previous threads I mentioned..... it is customary to run the 240vac to the thermostat and then out to the heaters. Wired this way the heater would be completely dead when the thermostat is turned off as both lines are opened.

You are creating a switch loop with your thermostat wiring. Yes... the heaters will shut off and not create any heat BUT they will never be completely dead.

Old 09-23-14, 07:02 PM
Q
They are single pole thermostats though.
Even if I wire it the other way, I can only ever shut off one side.
I'm not sure what the issue is with having one leg live though, everything is grounded and I would presume everyone will switch off the breaker before working on a 240v circuit if they were to just work on the heater.
It won't draw any current or use energy if 1 leg is turned off by the t-stat?

Old 09-23-14, 07:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
I would presume everyone will switch off the breaker before working on a 240v circuit if they were to just work on the heater.
The NEC code we follow takes the presumption out of the equation.

They will not use any energy by just opening one leg.

Old 10-06-14, 06:16 AM
Q
On pulling the heaters off the wall, I found that (from the top),
heater 1 was wired to the relay but the electrician had open spliced the wire inside the wall as it was 6 inches too short.
heater 2 was wired to the relay and also to heater 3.

So, I had to abandon the heater 1 wire by disconnecting it. I could not pull a new wire as it was all stapled in the wall. I then took the wood panels off and ran a new wire from heater 2 to heater 1. It now looks like the diagram below.
What this means is that in heater 2, I have 8 conductors (2 from the heater, 2 from heater 1, 2 from the source, 2 from heater 3).
The instruction/specifications does not say how many wires can be spliced inside the heater but I'm thinking for this I need a space of around 22.5 cu.in. The space inside the heater junction is 4x3x2 inches. Sound ok? It's wire nits connecting 4 wires red, 4 wires black, and 3 wires ground.

Also, the major concern with splicing is overheating so is it ok to place both wire nuts next to each other in the junction? I cannot move them elsewhere as the wiring is hard to move.

Last edited by qwertyjjj; 10-06-14 at 06:57 AM.
Old 10-07-14, 11:53 AM
Q
Has anyone seen it done this way? 3 wires connected in 1 baseboard junction area?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: