2 black wires in switch box?

Old 10-06-14, 11:13 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
2 black wires in switch box?

I was going to install a timer on my bathroom fan but found that the current basic switch only had 2 black wires and a ground running ot it. The timer has black, red, white, and ground. I tried the black and red each to one fo the black in the box but nothing. Then I added the white to the ground (I've been told that white and ground are common in my house) and the led on the switch lights up but the timer doesn't turn on the fan. Do I have it wired incorrectly or do I need a different timer to work with the fan - one with resistive-inductive capability?

Old 10-06-14, 11:30 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
(I've been told that white and ground are common in my house)
Never take advice from this person.

If you have cable not conduit what you wrote doesn't make sense. With cable if there were two blacks wires on the switch 99% of the time there would be two whites connected to each other in the back of the box.

Old 10-06-14, 11:51 AM
A
Received 274 Upvotes on 250 Posts
Does the timer instructions say anything about incandescent or fluorescent or motors or resistive?

Does the timer have a knob (that turns) or just pushbuttons?
Not always the case but many electronic timers (with numeric readout and no knob) will not work with motors (such as fans) or fluorescent lights.

Old 10-06-14, 11:54 AM
A
Received 274 Upvotes on 250 Posts
Does the timer instructions say anything about incandescent or fluorescent or motors or resistive?

Does the timer have a knob (that turns) or just pushbuttons?
Not always the case but many electronic timers (with numeric readout and no knob) will not work with motors (such as fans) or fluorescent lights.

Old 10-06-14, 02:05 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You need to post exact model number of timer so we can look at wiring diagram and applications.

You also need to post exactly how many cables come in/out of box, and how many wires are in each cable.

Sounds like you may not have any neutrals in your switch box.
Never connect a white wire to a bare ground.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: