Rechargeable Battery to run small fan for up to 8 hours?

Old 10-07-14, 07:07 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Rechargeable Battery to run small fan for up to 8 hours?

Hey there, new to the forum, I have a project under way and I am nearing completion but I'm at a stand still on powering. This is a DIY PAPR(Powered air purifying respirator) and I have done a few 12v dc powered ones but want to do a battery for this one and make it job functional.

This is the fan. Takes 4 Ds which is more weight than I'd like(bulk too). I would like it to have strong flow still but longevity in the battery or the option of a second set while the other charges.

Similar to this on amazon but mine takes 4 d cells vs 6.

Thanks in advance techies! I'm stumped right now lol

Also feel free to suggest other alternatives for fans(small, light weight, move lots of air)

Last edited by khobbs; 10-07-14 at 07:19 PM. Reason: adding
Old 10-07-14, 07:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,885 Upvotes on 3,482 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Do you get enough time out of a set of standard or alkaline D batteries ?
I would recommend a 6volt lead acid battery or a gel cell. The size required is based on current draw and running time required.

A 6v 1.2AH may work for you. Next step up is a 6v 4A. Basically same price but bigger.
6v 1.2Ah SLA Rechargeable Battery - F1 Terminals: amazon

Old 10-07-14, 07:30 PM
K
Originally Posted by PJmax
Welcome to the forums.
Do you get enough time out of a set of standard or alkaline D batteries ?
I would recommend a 6volt lead acid battery or a gel cell. The size required is based on current draw and running time required.
Thanks - about 4 1/2 hours on 4 ds I tried just to see. But as said thats a lot of bulk, and batteries add up$$ lol I'm just looking for a better (rechargeable) option. I'm also wondering if a small pc fan, like this is a better option?

Old 10-07-14, 07:40 PM
Group Moderator
A fan is not quite the same as a blower. That little fan will deliver air but not under pressure.
You would have to try it in your application.

Old 10-07-14, 08:22 PM
K
A fan is not quite the same as a blower. That little fan will deliver air but not under pressure.
You would have to try it in your application.
I know what you mean, I think the motor will be the achilles heal of it. It may not be up to it, but this is what I did so far. 3-9v batteries push the air fairly well, is there a way to make them run stronger? I can't remeber something to do with the wiring of them. Series or parallel or something.. put it inside in place of the large blower.

Old 10-07-14, 09:08 PM
Group Moderator
9v batteries aren't really the way you want to go. They have extremely limited life in this application and the rechargeable ones are not much better.

Old 10-07-14, 09:31 PM
K
9v batteries aren't really the way you want to go. They have extremely limited life in this application and the rechargeable ones are not much better.
Yeah thats what I'm reading too just too short of life. I put 4 9v on this little pc fan inside the old blower housing and holy cow she blows. Even with a 3m filter attached. This is good. Now I just need something compact and powerful to replace the 9v batteries.

Old 10-10-14, 11:11 PM
K
Bump. Just seeing if anyone else out there knows

Old 10-10-14, 11:33 PM
Group Moderator
Knows.................. what ?

I gave you a good source of inexpensive and reliable power in post 2.

If you want to get involved in miniature hi capacity power cells then your going to need a custom charger.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: