Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Wiring a new service meter panel with feeders in conduit in old stucco?

Old 10-08-14, 08:19 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I have an old 100 amp GE combo panel I removed due to vandalism. This panel was mounted on 2 x 4s on top of the stucco (old clap board house). The conduit is in the stucco and the threads weren't attached to the panel. I can't see anyway to attach them to the new panel.

In the pic you can see they left a "pocket" where the old, old original panel was. Then they took all the wires, knocked out the large KO in the back of the 100 amp GE panel, installed a plastic ring and ran all the wires into the panel. The GE panel basically laid over the conduit in the stucco.

I am going to install a similar size 100 amp Square D panel, basically the way they did, using a large knock out in the back? Or should I try to run each set of feeders through clamps? What is acceptable to CA code in this situation?

Thanks in advance!!

Name:  FullSizeRender.jpg
Views: 1053
Size:  43.7 KB

Name:  FullSizeRender-01.jpg
Views: 696
Size:  51.6 KB

Old 10-08-14, 08:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,877 Upvotes on 3,475 Posts
That's the service cable in that conduit in the bottom of that opening ?

The incoming service needs to be kept in conduit. You can use flex conduit but you can't have loose wiring come into the back of the panel. Everything looks short there. You are going to have your hands full to do a proper job.

Looks like a second conduit maybe feeding a sub panel.
Where's the meter in this fracas ?

Old 10-08-14, 08:54 PM
D
Thanks PJmax.

Oppps! Overhead service! Those are the feeders at the bottom going into the house. Meter will be on upper left, riser at top. I can't have loose feeders going into the back of the panel loose through the large knock out?

Yes, feeders are to short too! They used wire caps inside the old panel for extensions. Can I use J boxes in the little pocket space behind the panel to extend the wires?

Old 10-08-14, 09:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,877 Upvotes on 3,475 Posts
You could use junction boxes to extend most of the wiring. The service feeders must be continuous into the main panel.

Sounds like that meter is going to be at a level for a giant to read. Most of the power companies have a mounting height restriction.

Old 10-08-14, 09:27 PM
D
Thanks PJmax. Yes service feeders are plenty long. A giant? LOL. I don't think it was that high, maybe 6', if that. The local power let's us go up to about to about 6' 2". I'll try to keep the read level of the meter at about 5' 10".

How do you suggest I run the wiring into the panel? Can I do it like they did with a large KO and plastic ring? You said no? Am I going to have to try to clamp each set?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: