Zinsco Breaker for 220v Hot Tub

Old 10-08-14, 10:48 PM
Zinsco Breaker for 220v Hot Tub

So I'm not sure which kind of breaker I need for my hot tub. I know my box is a 2 pole Zinsco and my hut tub calls for a 40 amp 240v. Can anyone help me out? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-14, 05:57 AM
From the information you provided, you would need a 40 amp 2-pole Zinsco breaker to feed a NEMA 3R spa disconnect panel with a 40 amp GFCI breaker, assuming the hot tub is outside. I would strongly recommend you change the main panel first, Zinsco panels are known fire hazards.

Zinsco Sylvania Kearney Electrical Panel and Circuit Breaker Hazards, Failures, Inspection, Detection, Repair, Replacement - Sylvania Zinsco circuit breakers and panel hazards

Old 10-16-14, 03:12 PM
Home Depot carries "Hot Tub" GFCI protected breakers. At least they do in the stores near me. Make sure you use the correct gauge wire.

Old 10-16-14, 03:19 PM
Group Moderator
Home Depot carries "Hot Tub" GFCI protected breakers.
No such thing. What did you mean? Did you mean a Spa panel as suggested by Joe or individual breaker? If breaker it must be rated for the panel it is used in. I doubt a Zinsco GFCI breaker exists because the company went out of business before GFCI breakers were available.

Old 10-16-14, 07:27 PM
I have seen both 50 and 60 amp spa panels with GFCI breakers in the box stores, but never one with a 40 amp GFCI breaker. I believe a 40 GFCI breaker would have to be ordered through a supply house/distributor.

The main Zinsco panel still needs to be changed.

Last edited by CasualJoe; 10-16-14 at 07:54 PM.