Septic effluent ejector trips gfci

Old 10-09-14, 03:31 PM
Septic effluent ejector trips gfci

I've been trying to trouble shoot my septic pump. It trips the GFCI when the float switch activates it and also trips it when the pump itself is plugged in without a piggyback. If I plug the pump into a non GFCI outlet it works fine...? What would cause this? The last couple days I've been having to manually plug it in to empty out our effluent holding tank so we didn't have a backup into house.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-14, 03:58 PM
I had the same problem a few months ago and found the pump and floats were all connected with wire nuts and were all corroded. I turned off power, removed one wire nut at a time cleaned applied dielectric grease and reinstalled wire nut. No problem since.

Old 10-09-14, 04:49 PM
How old is the pump?there could be some current leakage that is causing the problem this happens to some motors as they age,splices could cause the problem as bperry suggested,also what kind of condition is the cord in?
Geo

Old 10-09-14, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator
Usually its the float... It needs to be replaced....

Post make and model of pump please....

Old 10-09-14, 05:50 PM
Cord is in great shape there are a few indentions from where zip ties held the wires going up the pipe to the outlet but that was it. The alarm light and switches all work and don't trip the GFCI but the minute the pump hits the circuit you hear a loud pop from the GFCI. The pump and system was installed in 2008, so about 6 years old. I just pulled the pump it was a Wayne model pump.

Old 10-09-14, 06:25 PM
It trips the GFCI when the float switch activates it and also trips it when the pump itself is plugged in without a piggyback. If I plug the pump into a non GFCI outlet it works fine...? What would cause this?
You have eliminated the float switch as the problem. The motor has a ground fault. I'd either repair or replace it.