how to pull new wire?

Old 10-10-14, 09:59 AM
Q
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
how to pull new wire?

I have a length of around 15ft (diagonally) low voltage cable that I need to replace with 240v cable.
I can see where the cable goes into the space above the panel and through a joist but no idea what happens after that. There are 2 other cables that go through the same hole (1 is alarm wire, 1 is the low voltage cable, 1 is blue romex).
I have tried pulling on this end of the brown low voltage cable and also on the end where it attaches to the thermostat but it doesn't seem to want to move.

It seems tlike it's going to be difficult to try and fish through this area as there would be at least 4 joists in the way and I can't fish when I can't see the holes.

What options might I have to try and pull a new wire for this?

Old 10-10-14, 11:51 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Is the basement ceiling open below the thermostat?
If so, look for nails coming through the plywood. That is likely the bottom plate of your wall and you could attempt to drill a hole up into the stud space where your stat sits.

Old 10-10-14, 05:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
It is more than likely that the wire you are trying to pull is stapled or fastened to the stud.

Old 10-11-14, 05:51 AM
Q
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
In which case the only way is to destroy some drywall until I find a staple or fastener?
Out of interest, what is done in new builds? I've seen some places where conduit is used and it seems much simpler to replace or pull new cable.

Old 10-11-14, 08:43 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
In which case the only way is to destroy some drywall until I find a staple or fastener?
No. You abandon in place by cutting both ends too short to be reused. Then you run new cable following the easiest path even if it is longer.

Old 10-11-14, 08:52 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Conduit is only used in houses when mandated. It is very expensive and time consuming to install when compared to metal clad cable or NM cable.

Old 10-11-14, 11:07 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
This won't solve all your problems but...
Invest in a set of fiberglass rods. They usually come in 5' sections that can be screwed together to make longer lengths. Also has several different tips for pulling.

I've gotten cable pretty far distances with very few holes and sometimes just using existing holes.

Sometimes you get lucky and these rods help with the luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: