50amp motor coach hook-up

Old 10-13-14, 03:43 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
50amp motor coach hook-up

Greetings again:
Next to the underground fed 200amp disconnect and meter socket I plan on installing a 50amp recepticle for motorhomes to use while visiting short stays. From the 200amp panel, I'm using 3 #6 wires - red, black and white and a seperate #6 wire from a separate ground rod driven below the 50amp recepticle box.

The planned connections would be: red&black to the double 50 amp breaker, white to the neutral buss bar. At the recepticle box I would wire these 3 leads to the proper spots on the 4 connections of the recepticle - with the 4th connection being the separate ground wire to the ground side of the recepticle.

Questions: Will it work and will the white connection only to the neutral buss bar at the 200amp panel be enough to trip the breaker - keep in mind, the ground buss and neutral buss ARE connected together at the service panel.

Thanx

Old 10-13-14, 05:59 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 272 Upvotes on 248 Posts
The #6 neutral correctly accompanies the red and black conductors back to the panel where the 50 amp breaker set for this branch circuit is located, and is attached to the neutral bus bar there.

A ground wire (minimum size #10 for #6 gauge current carrying conductors) also must accompany the circuit wires back to that panel amd be tied to the ground bus there.

All this is enough to trip a breaker in case of excessive fault current; additional ground rods are not mandatory.

Being next to the meter socket does not change the installation parameters for the RV receptacle.

If you install a (another) ground rod, you must interconnect it with the network of other ground rods (grouunding electrode system) using #6 copper wire. However you may omit any such link that would need to cross a lawn or go under a driveway, for example to get to the GES in a different building.

Last edited by AllanJ; 10-13-14 at 06:27 AM.
Old 10-13-14, 06:14 AM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
underground fed 200amp disconnect and meter socket I plan on installing a 50amp recepticle for motorhomes
Is it just a 200 amp disconnect or is this the main panel that will accept additional circuit breakers?

Old 10-13-14, 08:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
The conductor to a ground rod has nothing to do with tripping a breaker. A grounding conductor must be tied to the bus in the originating panel.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: