Found hidden transformer behind bathroom wall.

Old 10-13-14, 07:57 AM
Found hidden transformer behind bathroom wall.

For years, we could hear a faint hum that ceased when the power to the bathroom was turned off, but no one else seemed to hear it. When we removed the pine paneling recently, we found the source of the faint noise - a transformer for a razor (this house was built 50 years ago). The paneling was installed right over the old wall and transformer, just before we bought the house 25 years ago. Did the noise mean that the transformer was actually consuming a measurable amount of electricity over the last 2 1/2 decades?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-14, 08:16 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

I believe the answer is yes.

Old 10-13-14, 09:32 AM
Group Moderator
You need to eliminate the transformer and install a GFCI receptacle but I'm sure you know that because you recognized a shaver transformer.

Old 10-14-14, 04:51 AM
My message from yesterday seems to be lost, but if it shows up and I am repeating anything, please excuse.
Thank you for your responses. I wish we could get the money back, but at least the continual drain of electricity has been fixed. We did remove the transformer and have a new GFI receptacle. There was actually an existing one -- on an extension from wire feeding the transformer.