Help on troubleshooting an issue with kitchen electric

Old 10-13-14, 09:01 AM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Help on troubleshooting an issue with kitchen electric

I am trying to troubleshoot an issue with my kitchen electric.

On a 20 amp breaker we have 2 outlets:
1. a GFCI outlet on the backsplash and
2. a regular outlet on the wall behind the stove where just the stove plugs in.

The stove is gas with electric start to ignite the burners.

There has been no electrical work on this or any other circuit in the home in years. In fact, this circuit has been untouched since it was installed a kitchen renovation in 2005.

Yesterday my wife told me that the stove was acting weird without trying to use it (no gas on) the electric igniters were firing repeatedly. Im not exactly sure what she did to stop that, but then told me about the issue.

The GFCI outlet on the wall was tripped and could not be reset by pushing the button on the outlet, it would just click right back off after re-setting.

Resetting the 20 amp breaker on the panel also did nothing to correct the situation.

Since I had a spare GFCI outlet on hand I pulled the old one and installed the new one. There was a difference now - the outlet would stay on and would provide power to appliances when tested. The stove received power (clock & display) BUT when I tried to ignite a burner the circuit would trip again.

I also tested the stove by plugging it in via extension cord to a wall outlet on a different circuit and it ignites and works just fine.

So if the wall outlet is good and stove itself is good, am I correct to assume that the issue is with the breaker on the panel? If not, are there other suggestions or tests I can perform? I do have a multi meter and basic grasp of electrical concepts.

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-13-14, 09:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
The stove could have an issue that the GFI is seeing that the regular circuit does not. Breakers rarely go bad, although it can happen.

Old 10-13-14, 09:27 AM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Plug the stove into a different GFCI circuit as a test.

Old 10-13-14, 06:34 PM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
Since I had a spare GFCI outlet on hand I pulled the old one and installed the new one. There was a difference now - the outlet would stay on and would provide power to appliances when tested. The stove received power (clock & display) BUT when I tried to ignite a burner the circuit would trip again.

Huh..........The circuit tripped? Was it the circuit breaker that tripped? Was it GFCI device that tripped? What tripped?

Old 10-13-14, 06:55 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
So if the wall outlet is good and stove itself is good
pcboss brings up a good point (again).
I would not assume stove is good. You stated igniters are not firing as usual. If igniters are "clicking" repeatedly, there's a problem with the range internal wiring.

Old 10-13-14, 08:51 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,973 Upvotes on 3,566 Posts
The spark module relies on a good solid ground to work. Usually the range gets a ground from the gas line. You may have a wring issue or a leaky spark module.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: