Installing wall outlet in an old junction box

Old 10-13-14, 10:42 PM
Installing wall outlet in an old junction box

I had a wall receptacle in the house (60s) sticking out of the drywall, not flush with the surface, and wires on top visible (handywork of previous owners), with burn marks.

I took it off, capped the wires, removed some drywall and discovered a box (please see picture). I thought of installing a new outlet, but having second thoughts now. Some questions,

(1) what does the code say about installing outlets on top of such boxes, is that still allowed

(2) wires are very thick, probably 12 gauge, and there is a lot of them crammed in there. An extra outlet would make things even more crowded, and I expect I would have to apply force to push in there. Not sure I should do that. I suspect an outlet here was an afterthought rather than an original design.

(3) and the last unfortunate observation, the surface of the box is not flush with the drywall (at least 8mm deep).

What to do? My first thought was to cover it with a faceplate and put the drywall back in, but if there is a way to add a receptacle in here (or maybe at the next stud?) that would not require too much work, I'd appreciate a suggestion. Thanks.Name:  out.jpg
Views: 1122
Size:  43.5 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-14, 11:06 PM
You should be able to install a receptacle in there no problem. Those boxes and covers are still used today.

Old 10-14-14, 03:26 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Be sure to ground to the metal box.

A thinner plaster ring can be installed.

Old 10-15-14, 06:26 AM
My first thought was to cover it with a faceplate and put the drywall back in
Just be sure that if you do this that you do not put sheetrock in front of the box blocking access to it. You can not have a box behind a wall; in case you did not know.